Button template appearance

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Button template appearance

Post by Roy_043 »

On many, many wiki pages the Button template is not used as intended. The font weight of text inside the frame should be normal (see here). But on the pages in question a trick (link to the current page) is used to get bold text. IMO this is not the right approach. If bold text is required then the CSS for the button template should be changed.

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Button template appearance

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:55 pm ...But on the pages is question a trick (link to the current page) is used to get bold text...
The objective is not to get bold text. The objective is to link to the command inside the button. The link is always provided. However, when that link is used within the same page, then the link automatically becomes bold. Becoming bold is a result, but it is not the intention.

Code: Select all

{{Button|[[Some_command]]}}
When used inside the very [[Some_command]] page, the link will appear bold.

I don't think we need to change it.

In pages where different buttons are described, none of them will appear bold, if the page is not the same as the button. See, for example, Sketch or Body. None of the buttons there are bold.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

vocx wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:20 pm The objective is to link to the command inside the button.
But why provide a link to the current page?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 am
vocx wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:20 pm The objective is to link to the command inside the button.
But why provide a link to the current page?
I agree with @vocx
It think it's fine to keep the link. I find it useful whenever I need to get the link markup of said command, I go to said command's page and copy the source wiki format to paste elsewhere. I also think it looks better than ''''bold''' in the souce
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 am But why provide a link to the current page?
Don't pay attention to the current page. All buttons should have a link. So, if you happen to use that button in the same page, it will appear bold. You don't even need to think about it, because that is not what matters, what matters is showing the button. This button code you can copy and paste in any other page, you don't need to modify it.

Pages such as Part_Key were created in the past to help with creating documentation. You would basically just copy the code of a button and paste it in another page quickly without modifying it. If you stop to edit the button code, then it is error prone, as you could miss a letter here and there, or a bracket. So the buttons don't need to be modified, they just need to be used where it is appropriate.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

All right, I'll follow this standard.