OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dave_w

Re: OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post by dave_w »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm I have a rough idea what you are talking about, but it would be clearer if you upload the model, and perhaps some images illustrating the issue.
Good idea!

In creating this example, I've had several errors I don't understand. If I create the hole, it appears the size of the circle on that plane doesn't matter, so I have to adjust in the hole parameters. Also in the hole "Tasks", I can't get anywhere without having a profile, though I can set it to none in the parameters later on. And I get the message that my diameter size is too large, don't know why. If I adjust Hole Cut Diameter down in parameters, it is happy. I'm guessing this is because the diameter in the Hole Tasks tab is for countersink.

Attached is the example with the plane on the top of the last pad, and the countersink on the wrong side of the body.

?

Thanks!
Attachments
example.FCStd
(32.84 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In this case it is very easy: map the sketch to the main plane instead of a DatumPlane:
- Select XY-plane
- click Image, select flat face and confirm
- Now the sketch is in the right position.

However, pockets and holes always go down, while this hole has to go up. Correct this in the Data properties by setting Reverse=true.

Holes are always made from the sketch side. You never can counterbore/-sink the far end, you have to move the sketch in that case. For the hole definition the centers of circles in a sketch are used, their diameter is not taken into account.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:54 am In this case it is very easy: map the sketch to the main plane instead of a DatumPlane:
- Select XY-plane
- click Image, select flat face and confirm
- Now the sketch is in the right position.

However, pockets and holes always go down, while this hole has to go up. Correct this in the Data properties by setting Reverse=true.

Holes are always made from the sketch side. You never can counterbore/-sink the far end, you have to move the sketch in that case. For the hole definition the centers of circles in a sketch are used, their diameter is not taken into account.
Ah yes, thanks. I can get there. Still unexplained errors. Took me a minute or so to figure out how to set the main plane. Created the hole and the Tasks tab opens. Take the Diameter down to 2 mm as a test. Set the Depth to Through all. Set countersink, diameter and angle, all OK. But then when I say OK to the Tasks tab, I get "BRep_API: command not done."

If I change the Profile to anything, I can close that tab but the hole isn't complete. If I close and open then set to None, I don't get the error. And only then can I change the Hole Cut Diameter and Hole Cut Countersink. When I do that and exit the tab, then I get the correct hole and countersink.

So, it works, but I get confusing errors and results before I can get there.

Thanks Chris!

Dave
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How about reassigning, the plane as described above? The very first step would be
- make Origin visible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 pm How about reassigning, the plane as described above? The very first step would be
- make Origin visible.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJkpvZJw3Ps

I haven't figured out how to add audio to a VLC desktop capture yet so here are notes on what this video shows:

Select the top surface of a circle padded from the inside of the box.

Add a sketch, then add a smaller circle inside.

This is on the wrong plane, so select the sketch and change the plane to XY_Plane.

Add a hole for that sketch. Set diameter to 2 for Threading and size, though I don't think this is used. Set the depth to Through all.

Set the Type to countersink and then some reasonable numbers so we can see it on the part.

Click OK to end the Hole configuration. This gives me the error.

Go back and change the Profile (for threading) from None to anything else, the click OK again. This time there is no error.

Double click Hole to re-open that tab. Set the Profile to None and close. This time there is *no error*. ???

At this point I can look at the Hole properties and reverse the hole to get the desired countersunk hole.

Dave
dave_w

Another Noobie Question

Post by dave_w »

I think the answer to this is probably NO.

Is there any way to put dimensions from multiple sketches on the same view? So if you have a part that has multiple planes, pads, holes, etc., and all of those items are referenced from a common datum point but not to each other, can these dimensions be shown in a single view so they can be verified? I looked at TechDraw but dimensions aren't carried over from the part design and it doesn't have the resolution that Sketch has.

No?

Thanks,

Dave
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

This is the concept of using a master sketch. To answer your question, no. :)
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

freedman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 am This is the concept of using a master sketch. To answer your question, no. :)
Aha! I finally got one right!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If the sketches are all in one plane you can create an additional sketch and create copies with Sketcher CarbonCopy. Well you can do this even if they are not in the same plane, but it may show just nonsense, even if all dimensions are right.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dave_w wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Here's a video:
Finally found the time to watch it. For me it is impossible to follow all the steps, because I cannot see the mouse and it it is far too small on my screen. I would recommend two things:
1) retry with a most recent 0.19 version
2) If it still doesn't work, remake your video, and don't show the whole screen, but only an interesting part of it.