Newbie - box with repetive cutouts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Newbie - box with repetive cutouts

Post by kisolre »

Just added a Point and constrained it.
K3vin

Post by K3vin »

Still reading a lot and learning a lot!

I am having some issues with the 'dependencies' between the slots and the 'pockets'. It would be really nice if I could move one of the slots and the matching 'pocket' would follow that position.
I have tried to accomplish this by using 'create an edge linked to an external geometry'. This way I can position the center of pocket in relation to the center of the slot. This seems to work initially.

However once I move the slot, the pocket doesn't follow it's position. Is it possible to have these features 'linked'? Am I doing it the way it supposed to be done, or am I misunderstanding how create an 'edge linked to an external geometry' works?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Please share your progress. Far better that making others guess. When using link to external geometries it is better to link to edges of sketches and not edges of features. Still you should consider that later editing that removes edges could also brake dependencies because of changing names.
K3vin

Post by K3vin »

I think that I have now accomplished what I was trying?
I have made a simple example. A box with 2 pockets in it.
The position of the second pocket is related to the position of the first pocket.
So if the first pocket moves, the second pocket moves along with it.
So is this way I have done it an acceptable solution? Or is there a better way to accomplish this?
Thanks!
Attachments
2holesexample.FCStd
(17.49 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

If you want to move multiple features at the same time use a datum plane. You can place multiple sketches on the datum plane and if you want to move the items then you move the datum plane and not the items. The datum plane holds the sketch and the associated features, you can pad and pocket many different sketches on one plane.