OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dave_w

Re: OK, I'm Stuck... Complete Newbie

Post by dave_w »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:05 pm
dave_w wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Here's a video:
Finally found the time to watch it. For me it is impossible to follow all the steps, because I cannot see the mouse and it it is far too small on my screen. I would recommend two things:
1) retry with a most recent 0.19 version
2) If it still doesn't work, remake your video, and don't show the whole screen, but only an interesting part of it.
Sorry. Even more impossible for me to create a video that has both audio and reasonable resolution. Here's another video. At least this one has audio so I can tell you what I'm doing. Unfortunately, the video quality is very poor. I'm guessing this is because I have a MacBook Pro with the extremely high pixel count but the capture software can't handle that. Regardless, I'm telling you everything I'm doing. The one thing you can't see in the video is the popup box with the error. I read the error message but it is the same error as previous videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ancUBMZvFlA

This is not a show stopper for me, just an error I can't explain.

I'll look at the sketch hint you gave me, but this is also on the back burner.

Thanks Chris.

Dave
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I followed your video and then did the model from scratch to see if I could duplicate the error.

The error comes when I try to set the diameter of the countersink = to diameter of the hole.

The nature of a countersink will not allow them to be equal.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

drmacro wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:48 pm I followed your video and then did the model from scratch to see if I could duplicate the error.

The error comes when I try to set the diameter of the countersink = to diameter of the hole.

The nature of a countersink will not allow them to be equal.
I replicated that too. Makes sense that the countersink needs to be bigger than the hole. I did the same thing, changing the profile to something other than None, then closing the Hole parameters without the error. I explained that I could go back into Hole parameters and change back to None and close without error. What I didn't see then was that changing the profile also changed the countersink diameter to something larger than 2mm. So that explains why there was no error the second time. I don't know why the Threading and size configuration has anything to do with the Hole cut configuration, but at least the error is explained.

Thanks!

Dave
dave_w

Irritating symptom

Post by dave_w »

In a sketch with the grid shown. Add a component and the grid disappears for much of the sketch. In order to see it again, I need to close then re-open the sketch.

Why does it do this? Can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Dave
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Now grid is Autosized to sketch contents. In sSketcher grid is just a visual aid. it has no real influence on the actual position of things after the eventually initial snap when the element is created. You can create a bounding box from construction edges around all your eventual design dimensions to see full grid.
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

kisolre wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:19 pm Now grid is Autosized to sketch contents. In sSketcher grid is just a visual aid. it has no real influence on the actual position of things after the eventually initial snap when the element is created. You can create a bounding box from construction edges around all your eventual design dimensions to see full grid.
Hmmm... Don't know what that means.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

78mwOrposf.gif
78mwOrposf.gif (489.26 KiB) Viewed 748 times
dave_w

Post by dave_w »

kisolre wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:19 pm
Thanks, I see what's happening for you. I'm creating a new document, new body, new sketch, then drawing a rectangle. As soon as I set either dimension of the rectangle, the grid disappears for much of my screen. If I grab a point and drag as you're doing, then the grid comes back ***as long as I'm holding***. As soon as I release the mouse button, a large portion of the grid disappears again. Maybe it's because my screen resolution is 2880x1800. ?

d.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Can you show a screenshot or a video?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kisolre wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 am Can you show a screenshot or a video?
If I'm seeing the saem thing...
It appears the auto size is under sizing the grid rather than enclosing the extent of the geometry.
GridAutoSize.png
GridAutoSize.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 712 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.5
Qt version: 5.12.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."