new Measurement tool

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: new Measurement tool

Post by easyw-fc »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm
HoWil wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:55 pm
  • Nice to see that this tool is further improved... but wouldn't it be better to join your efforts with Maurice and improve the caliper instead of getting the thousand and first new measurement tool. I am pretty sure Maurice would support it
I tried but he didn't want.
That's really amazing...
everyone can see that is the opposite... you wanted a different Gui interface from the original I use and after arguing in many ways, you decided to leave the discussion... anyway this is your choice but don't throw wrong information around
here the discussion:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p367915

BTW:
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm
Zolko wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 pm I'm pleased to announce that a new version of Assembly 4 has been released, v0.9.5, with a new measurement tool, completely rewritten from the Caliper of the Manipulator WB.
I'm glad you've found my code useful for your tool, but would you mind to use a different icon for your measurement tool? Using the same I made for Caliper could be misleading for user's of manipulator WB.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 57#p410557
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm I'm glad you've found my code useful for your tool, but would you mind to use a different icon for your measurement tool? Using the same I made for Caliper could be misleading for user's of manipulator WB.
misleading in what sense ? Anyway, I changed for the Part_Measure icon. And gave you credit for the embedded icons.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:15 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm I'm glad you've found my code useful for your tool, but would you mind to use a different icon for your measurement tool? Using the same I made for Caliper could be misleading for user's of manipulator WB.
misleading in what sense ? Anyway, I changed for the Part_Measure icon. And gave you credit for the embedded icons.
fine, but please also fix your tool's help which is a 'copy-paste' of my caliper tool:
measure-tool-help.png
measure-tool-help.png (48.12 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

So, I see much glass was already broken...
Is there really no way to bring both efforts back to finally form one tool?
Improvements should not be thrown away because of some icons or a copied description.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Zolko wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm... This should actually be in core FreeCAD, not as an addon-module. But Part's measure tool only measures 2 shapes, you can't measure a circle's diameter, a segment's length, or a distance between snap-points.
than you should separate it from your assemply, add it to FreeCAD and go for a PR. It makes no sense to have it tpgether with a assembly wb. I need such tool too, but I do not need assembly.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

bernd wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:22 am I need such tool too
unfortunately you seem to be the only one (apart from me)
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Why not create a measurement wb and then have a competition on which wb is most useful. We can include the measurement tools by default in the bundles.
We have all the tools to distribute a modular freecad, we should not aim at a gigantic core library.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

looo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:29 am Why not create a measurement wb and then have a competition
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index. ... _Standards
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Still. Would it not make sense to split Measurement and assembley in two WBs, even if it is the 15th FreeCAD measurement tool? But it would be the first Measurement WB.

ATM I use three or four different ones, one from Part, one from Arch, one from Manipulator. Soon I will have a assembly wb which I do not need just becaue I would like to measure something.
fjullien

Post by fjullien »

bernd wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:27 pm ATM I use three or four different ones, one from Part, one from Arch, one from Manipulator. Soon I will have a assembly wb which I do not need just becaue I would like to measure something.
I think opening any workbench to measure something is overkill (even a Measurement WB).
One should be able to measure something everywhere everytime.

Franck.