Catalina

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Flembo

Catalina

Post by Flembo »

Hi, completely new to Freecad also to using a mac. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install Freecad on the Catalina operating system? I have downloaded Freecad 0.18 found it in the download folder, but the program will not run or install properly. ( "Freecad" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified) Is there a workaround for this problem, or do I have to get rid of Catalina and install an older operating system?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Catalina

Post by chrisb »

Have a look at the Known OS specific issues page.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

I had a look at the link that you posted up. I have tried everything suggested. When the dmg file has been downloaded, I should be able to drag the Freecad icon into the application folder the Freecad icon is present but not the application folder. If I right-click on the Freecad icon and open it that way, the Freecad program opens but all I get is what is in the screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 20.26.46.png
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 20.26.46.png (173.48 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 20.28.30.png
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 20.28.30.png (77.23 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have the same issue and never succeeded installing FreeCAD in the Applications folder. I drag and drop it to my desktop. Does that work for you? You may try another folder as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

I have moved the Freecad icon onto my desktop, I can only open it by pressing ctrl+open. When the icon opens i am still just getting, see attached image.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 08.25.23.png
Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 08.25.23.png (211.26 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

I am happily running on Catalina, but installed some it some time ago. Have both FreeCAD 0.18 and FreeCAD 0.19 installed in Applications, different names obviously.

As a work around have you tried opening the file browser and dragging to Applications in the browser window?
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

Really do not know what I am doing wrong. Probably something so simple it is staring me in the face. I have migrated from a Windows-based system, where it was just a case of downloading and installing. I have used the official site to download from (https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php) chosen the middle option which is for a Mac 64bit. Maybe the only way I can install and use Freecad is too roll back and use an earlier operating system.
martin51

Post by martin51 »

I've been had both FreeCAD 0.18 and 0.19 installed in the Applications folder on my MacBook Air running Catalina without any problem other than having to use the right mouse click method or File/Open File the first time a new version of the app is installed. Just wondering if it's your user privilege settings causing the problem. Do you have Admin privileges?
Flembo

Post by Flembo »

Hi yes, I have privileges, starting to pull what little hair I have left out lol. Really do not where to go from here, I have tried the workarounds but to no avail.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I mean the program starts, that's already good. Do you have a menu? What happens if you click the big + button?