"Grid" on isometric view using

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Victor_UK

"Grid" on isometric view using

Post by Victor_UK »

Hi everyone...
Making progress on the learning curve with FC 0.18 in Windows 7 - But...

A grid has appeared on the isometric view which also now appears in first Sketch when edited...
If the visibility of all objects except body are toggled - the grid is still displayed

No idea what I did to get it - and more importantly how to remove it

Doesn’t appear to be a Draft > Utilities > Toggle Grid which toggles a different grid

I have tried searching forums & wiki - but have not found a solution
(probably as I don’t know what I am seeing is called)

Screen Grab >>
Attachments
Isometric_Grid.png
Isometric_Grid.png (125.89 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: "Grid" on isometric view using

Post by drmacro »

Victor_UK wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm

This is the grid fro Draft workbench.

You can go to the Draft workbench and turn it off by clicking the "waffle" looking icon next to the snap icons.

Once the Draft workbench has been loaded once, you can turn it off/on anywhere with g,r key sequence. (Before Draft is loaded the first time g,r does other things.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Victor_UK

Post by Victor_UK »

drmacro wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm This is the grid from Draft workbench.

You can go to the Draft workbench and turn it off by clicking the "waffle" looking icon next to the snap icons.
Hi DrMacro - thanks for your suggestion...

Unfortunately the Draft > "waffle" Toggles a different grid
- begining to suspect it is an artefact of the sketch as grid also visible when that particular sketch is opened, but not other sketches within same document
Attachments
Isometric_Grid 2.png
Isometric_Grid 2.png (188.41 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The sketch has its own grid. Switch it off in the Edit controls in sketcher or in the View attributes of the sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Victor_UK

Post by Victor_UK »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 am The sketch has its own grid. Switch it off in the Edit controls in sketcher or in the View attributes of the sketch.
Hi ChrisB,

Thank you for your suggestion, but this did not remove the displayed artefact
- Togglling the Edit Controls grid tick box displays/removes an edit grid, but not the "additional" one :(

Also Attaching the FC document in case there are some tools "out there" that might help discover what is happening, if someone has the time to look (please).

I will probably re-capture the design in a new document to refine the approach followed based on references that I have read over the last few days, but it would still be good to get to the cause so I get a better undestanding (and avoid doing it again, what ever it was :) )

Thank you everyone.
Attachments
Design 1.FCStd
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Isometric_Grid 3.png
Isometric_Grid 3.png (129.04 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Victor_UK wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 am Thank you for your suggestion, but this did not remove the displayed artefact
- Togglling the Edit Controls grid tick box displays/removes an edit grid, but not the "additional" one :(
Each sketch object has its own grid. So go into the property editor, in the view tab, and make sure the grid is off for all of them.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

vocx wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 am Each sketch object has its own grid. So go into the property editor, in the view tab, and make sure the grid is off for all of them.
The sketch grid should only be viewable in edit mode?

Perhaps the file was saved with a sketch in edit mode?

The OP's file opens without grid in

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 4bfa602368a5d6f32341c636ad1158a50148b6b9
Python version: 3.5.2
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Victor_UK

Post by Victor_UK »

vocx wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 am Each sketch object has its own grid. So go into the property editor, in the view tab, and make sure the grid is off for all of them.
Hi Vocx,

This fixed the problem - Big thank you...

Interestingly that although the grid was showing in the Part Design WB isometric view for Pad001 and Sketcher WB for "Sketch"
The offending grid property was attached to "Sketch001"

Best Wishes

Victor
Attachments
Isometric_Grid 4.png
Isometric_Grid 4.png (88.34 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Bance wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 am ...
Perhaps the file was saved with a sketch in edit mode?
The grid works in mysterious ways. There is some code in Sketcher that controls the visibility of the objects, and hides and restores some sketch properties when you go in and out of the edit mode. I don't completely understand how it works. It's this Show module in the source, and it's TempoVis code.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Victor_UK

Post by Victor_UK »

Bance wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 am Perhaps the file was saved with a sketch in edit mode?
Hi Bance...
Yes that could be how it happened - I did spend some time trying to remove some "over-constraint" errors, and probably did a save as soon as they cleared whilst still in edit mode. Getting a better handle on the "rules" as time passes, so good experience for the future (even if I did go round in circles for a while!).

Thank you All.