No draft toolbars

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
VanDerSnow

No draft toolbars

Post by VanDerSnow »

Hello all,

So after troublesome installation (I ended up installing via command line) I got FreeCAD running. However, if I select Draft and create new sheet I get no tools in toolbar. Am I missing something or installation was corrupt?

Screen shot attached.

I am using latest 0.18.4 Freecad on Ubuntu 20.4.1.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-08-28 10-52-28.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-28 10-52-28.png (130.93 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: No draft toolbars

Post by jmaustpc »

Welcome to FreeCAD. :)
VanDerSnow wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 am So after troublesome installation (I ended up installing via command line) I got FreeCAD running
which one, from where? There are several. Ubuntu 20.04 uses the new snaps packaging system which no one has got to work perfectly as far as I know. Personally I gave up on Ubuntu 20.04 and went back to Ubuntu 18.04. I think Kurt got the PPA to work after I had given up, so I have not tested it if that is true.

Years ago we used to have a problem with Draft sometimes because it require I think it was "python-pivy" package that was not always installed.

Also why bother with FreeCAD 0.18.4? Better to just us 0.19 from the daily PPA, if it works, since it now has far more features and bug fixes than 0.18.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's almost never the installation which is corrupted, but rather the configuration: You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

VanDerSnow wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 am ...
I am using latest 0.18.4 Freecad on Ubuntu 20.4.1.
FreeCAD 0.18 is not the latest. The latest is v0.19 (development).

Start FreeCAD from the command line to see any messages generated by the program; also open the report view to see the messages.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
cmanujv

Post by cmanujv »

Hi! I had the same issue, I follow the advice of the previous comment and I had this output in the terminal:

During initialization the error No module named 'PyQt5' occurred in /usr/share/freecad/Mod/Plot/InitGui.py

I installed the "python3-pyqt5" from synaptic and the problem was solved! I hope it works for you too. Greetings!

Also here's a explanation about the package and a possible bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1876184
mfirsov

Post by mfirsov »

Hi. When I selected the Draft workbench, the error "Draft_Snap_WorkingPlane" appeared and the tools were not displayed.
FreeCAD version 0.18.4, Ubuntu 20.04
Installing python3-pyqt5
sudo apt install python3-pyqt5
For Russian-speaking people

Привет. У меня при выборе верстака Draft появлялась ошибка "Draft_Snap_WorkingPlane" и не отображались инструменты.
Версия FreeCAD 0.18.4, Ubuntu 20.04
Также помогла установка python3-pyqt5
sudo apt install python3-pyqt5
Last edited by mfirsov on Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.