Vision_5, a new way to see your model.

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Vision_5, a new way to see your model.

Post by freedman »

Been working on multiple versions of this macro for about a year. It started with just a couple buttons to change transparencies and then I added more and more until now, I'm finished. I only see issues in super complex models in Part (and older models). I think this version is pretty well polished up, I haven't been able to find a bug in weeks of use. Real soon I will figure out how to get this in the add-on manager.

The core concept was to build a tool, not use a tool bar like we have at the top of the screen. A tool that can float around and be right next to the model, simple and quick to use, most operations in one click.
As we edit models, objects gets in the way so I have a method that allows the user to selectively hide/show every object using control points. Hiding objects is up to the user and can be complex so I added pages of hide/show, this allows us to work deep in the belly of the model and in just a few mouse clicks we can see the entire model. These settings are stored so the views are saved, to be used later. It's fun.

There are simply too many features to list.

I hope it works for you and more than anything I hope it saves time and energy, for more modeling of coarse.
Here is a link for the macro, directions and other info:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 22#p427049

For some Youtube views:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcnFnZ ... VEHjhkzHkw
For some .mp4 videos:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2#p4286935
Last edited by freedman on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galou_breizh

Re: Vision_5, a new way to see your model.

Post by galou_breizh »

To have your macro available in the Add-ons Manager, you can publish it to the official macro repository via a pull request. See instructions there. Do NOT publish it there if you don't accept that others "touch" your macro (you're supposed to be informed of any change done to it though, but there is no automatic notification system).

If your macro is on the wiki with the correct markups for macros. It'll also be available in the Add-on Manager.

Cheers,
Gaël
freedman
Veteran

Re: Vision_5, a new way to see your model.

Post by freedman »

galou_breizh, thanks for doing that.

I have a little time to write some code but trying to read up on how to handle it on the site, soooo many questions. I need a Yoda just to take one step. :)

I have no idea how to share code on Git or anywhere and .... who controls what direction the code takes .... :) this all hurts my brain.

I have always been in engineering assigned to a project, designing electronics and writing code for something specific. This sharing of work & ideas and the software wrapped around the Github is totally new to me, I see the concept but it's a whole new world.

I will watch some tube videos, maybe then I can ask a few intelligent questions.