How to add a new feature in PartDesign earlier in the history?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vorpal

How to add a new feature in PartDesign earlier in the history?

Post by Vorpal »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to FreeCAD, having recently migrated from Fusion 360 (as I'm sure lots of others have too). Overall I like it, though the user face is a bit unintuitive (though I expect I will get used to it). However, there is one operation I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do, and my Google-fu has been lacking in finding anyone else asking about this:

If I want to add a new operation (a chamfer in this case) in PartDesign, but not as the last operation (because the Chamfer then fails), this is fairly easy to do: Active an earlier step and do the chamfer from there. This results in the dependency graph having two "heads" (using terminology from git). However, what I cannot figure out is how I then "re-parent" the original operations that happened after to now be based on my new Chamfer. That is, perform what is the equivalent of a rebase in git.

Help would be appreciated!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22756 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ce87f586ee36ffe8ebcdcd3947ced4ab389ae795
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to add a new feature in PartDesign earlier in the history?

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Before adding the chamfer activate the body and set the previous feature to tip with the right mouse context menu.

Please be aware that your model may break due to the topological naming problem, if you haven't taken precautions. Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TedM

Post by TedM »

Right click the chamfer and select "move object to after other object" and then, in the drop-down list, select the feature that was chamfered. This will move it to the right place in the body. You may get a message asking if the new end should be made the tip: click yes. If not, right click the last feature and select "Set Tip".
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 pm Before adding the chamfer activate the body and set the previous feature to tip with the right mouse context menu.
Makes me think some time ago we removed 'Set tip' from the Body contextual menu. I wonder if the reason for this wasn't to be able to add a feature at first place with this same method... :?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:40 pm I wonder if the reason for this wasn't to be able to add a feature at first place with this same method... :?
Perhaps, but even if so, that's too tricky for my taste. Then I would prefer some more consistent method.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thanks for the help, I will try this when I get back home this weekend.

EDIT: It worked. Thanks a lot. Had a sketch that had to change support and needed to tweak which edges were in a chamfer at the end, but apart from that it worked really well. Thanks so much again.