[SOLVED] Workflow - multiple TechDraw pages for assembly where different parts are visible?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M4x
Veteran

[SOLVED] Workflow - multiple TechDraw pages for assembly where different parts are visible?

Post by M4x »

Hey everybody,

I'ld like to create several drawings of one assembly. The difficulty I'm facing is that I'd like to turn the visibility of certain parts on or off, depending on the current TechDraw page. That's because I'd like to show details within an assembly which are hidden behind another part otherwise. I'm using the Assembly3_Workbench and TechDraw.

Unfortunately, the TechDraw pages are always showing the "current state". That's why it's impossible for me to have all relevant drawings in one document. I'm not sure how I should tackle this. Make only one TechDraw page per document and save it as "Assembly_ABC_TechDraw_1" and so on? That would be very unconvenient if I'd make a change later on. I'd have to make this change in every single document. Or is there a better way like creating single files with only one TechDraw page and linking to the assembly without having this current problem regarding the visibility of certain parts? I know that it's possible to turn the "auto update" (Toogle KeepUpdated) on or off for each TechDraw page individually. Unfortunately I'll have to update every page if I'm opening the document for the first time. I'd have to recreate all views one by one. That's impracticable in a big assembly.

Do you have any ideas on how this should be done? Please have a look at my simplified example. I'll post the original file in my next post.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22665 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b0d7850406e046f3b7a8cd5da261e7d54df6bd99
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
assembled
assembled
Snip macro screenshot-4c1939.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
assembled with offset
assembled with offset
Snip macro screenshot-e7a045.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
TechDraw Body_left_missing - 1
TechDraw Body_left_missing - 1
Snip macro screenshot-66b842.png (16.47 KiB) Viewed 982 times
TechDraw Body_right_missing - 1
TechDraw Body_right_missing - 1
Snip macro screenshot-8d74ef.png (17.9 KiB) Viewed 982 times
TechDraw Body_left_missing - 2
TechDraw Body_left_missing - 2
Snip macro screenshot-9b48d9.png (13.21 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Last edited by M4x on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M4x
Veteran

Re: Workflow - multiple TechDraw pages for assembly where different parts are visible?

Post by M4x »

object tree (Example_ASM3_TechDraw_v1)
object tree (Example_ASM3_TechDraw_v1)
Snip macro screenshot-f70168.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Attachments
Example_ASM3_TechDraw_v1.FCStd
(67.98 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
M4x
Veteran

Re: Workflow - multiple TechDraw pages for assembly where different parts are visible?

Post by M4x »

I had just another idea: Would it be possible to create some kind of clones and just delete parts according to the corresponding TechDraw page? I'm not yet very experienced regarding clones, shapebinders and so on. :oops:
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I've colored the TechDraw screenshots to make it easier to see which part is which.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Instead of selecting the complete assembly, just select the bodies that you want to be visible when you create the TechDraw_View.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

That's a very good idea, I'll try that as soon as I'm back at my computer.

Would it be possible to delete parts from an already existing view? :?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

M4x wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 pm Would it be possible to delete parts from an already existing view?
You can change the Source property of the view.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

M4x wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 pm Would it be possible to delete parts from an already existing view? :?
If you mean cosmetic lines: you can use the eraser icon.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Thank you guys! The source property was exactly what I was looking for. :D