Template issue in Techdraw (FC 0.19)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gigax

Template issue in Techdraw (FC 0.19)

Post by gigax »

Hello All,

I am a new forum user and I have been using FC for about 6 months in a professional environment. The engineering company where I work focuses on electronic products, and we are currently using FC 0.19 to design sheet metal enclosures (Part, FEM, SheetMetal, TechDraw).

We are facing an issue with TechDraw and we did't find a solution yet.

Usually we create multiple TechDraw sheets in a project, based on the same template which is saved in a certain path (for example c:\templates\mytemplate.svg), and everything works well while the document is open.

If we close and reopen the same document, we have these problems:

1) The "TEMPLATE" paths for all TechDraw sheets are modified to a temporary folder, and the template file names have an added progressive number to it (mytemplate1.svg, mytemplate2.svg...etc...). The same paths and file names appear in the PAGE RESULT fields.

2) The system gives error messages: "Failed to recompute...." as it cannot open those templates named mytemplate1.svg and so on, so we always need to select the right template and fill all the fields manually.

Are we doing some mistakes, or is there some setting to be adjusted?

thanks in advance for your help!!!

--------------

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21049 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9c27f1078e5ec516fe882aac1a27f5c6c6174554
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Template issue in Techdraw (FC 0.19)

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above. It should not be necessary to reload the template every time. AFAIK it is used only when creating the page.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
gigax

Post by gigax »

Thank you chrisb, I have edited my post and added the FreeCAD info.
mendy

Post by mendy »

Hello
Have been playing with a file.
gigax wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:59 pm 1) The "TEMPLATE" paths for all TechDraw sheets are modified to a temporary folder
The file below shows this to be normal? If I open it with my archive manager it does show the three svg files in numerical sequence.
Initially while file is open it is different but upon closing and reopening it shows as tmps.
gigax wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:59 pm 2) The system gives error messages: "Failed to recompute...."
Doesn't give this message for me and file opens.
Thought maybe settings in preferences but didn't change my set custom ones and opened a A4 Techdraw Template.
Possibly misunderstanding your workflow.
Are you entering data on each sheet as you go. Did find if I change template on page it does delete data entered.
Or are you trying to duplicate the data to multiple sheets?

Would you have an example file with no proprietary information using standard templates to upload?
In my file just changed the Title to save time.
Edit: Spelling Twice
TDTMP.jpg
TDTMP.jpg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 837 times
TDTMPII.jpg
TDTMPII.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Attachments
Block Sample.FCStd
(46.8 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
gigax

Post by gigax »

Many thanks for your reply Mendy.

Actually I think that I have understood the cause of this problem and fixed it by myself, so let me share this as it may be useful for others.

The problem was caused by CCleaner, which is set to run automatic system cleans on a daily basis on my PC. So, it just deleted the temp files created by TechDraw.

I have added an exclusion rule in CCleaner, in order to prevent it from deleting *.SVG files, and since then the issue didn't happen anymore.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks!