newby needs help

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bance
Veteran

Re: newby needs help

Post by Bance »

rosen71 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm Thank you, but the dimensions are not correct.
I hope you don't think I'm going to draw this for you? The file is an example.

What does the newly included file have to do with your question?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Yes, indeed, you have imported svg.

In general, you need to convert each profile to a sketch. Unfortunately that isn't the end. The sketches have to be validated (and processed to get rid of extra line, non-coincident vertices, overlapping lines, etc.

To get this profile, I had to fix a bunch of non-coincident vertices, one overlapping line, and redundant lines. (Note, actually, there are no lines, all this geometry is imported as splines...even the straight lines.) Some of the non-coincident vertices were not even close to each other.

In all I did a lot of steps, to get this one model:
svg_import_fix.png
svg_import_fix.png (95.01 KiB) Viewed 393 times
The step by step is something like this:
  1. import or open svg file.
  2. remove all unneeded geometry (text, other outlines, etc.)
  3. select the geometry that represents the outline to be modeled
  4. use the Draft workbench Convert to sketch
  5. if the sketch is to be used in Part Design, then create a body, drag the sketch into the body
  6. now attach the sketch to a base plane using the Part Design Map to face tool.
  7. now use the Validate sketch tool to find non-coincident vertices
  8. (the fix option might fix them all...but can't handle lines that are duplicates, they must be found and deleted.)
  9. since all geometry is splines, it might be good to change all the straight splines to lines
  10. some lines are segments of straight lines rather than on line. this will cause extra faces in the model, find and fix
  11. try to pad, if it fails go through previous steps, starting at #7 to fix geometry

Or, import the geometry, delete what you don't need, start a new Part Design sketch and trace over the svg geometry. Then delete the svg geometry.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
rosen71

Post by rosen71 »

drmacro wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:30 pm Yes, indeed, you have imported svg.

In general, you need to convert each profile to a sketch. Unfortunately that isn't the end. The sketches have to be validated (and processed to get rid of extra line, non-coincident vertices, overlapping lines, etc.

Tnaks a lot.
I started to figure it out.
Last edited by rosen71 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We enjoy a positive feedback, so don't see this negative.
If you quote a post please restrict the quoted text to what you directly referring to. That's easier to read and less clutter in the topic. And the forum regulars do't have to. read the same over and over again. If someone so wishes, he can always use the small uparrow link to get to the quoted post.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rosen71

Post by rosen71 »

Hi again,

After few days of playing, i got the preliminary results I've needed.

As I wanted to do some assembly to see how it will look, got some issues with the parts previously created.

If I open a part, it looks Ok as it is. Once imported in Assembly Workbench, some parts seems solid with no holes cut as it was in the drawing.
Hense during assembly something is not OK.
Will appreciate your advises.

The first file is the assembly, the second one is with a part that looks different.
3D_model_1.FCStd
(63.67 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Planka_hostage_2.2.FCStd
(87.04 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Regards,
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Assembly workbench isn't maintained since quite some time. Use A2plus instead or use Assembly3 or Assembly4. The numbers don't indicate one being more modern than the other, they follow different modeling principles.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rosen71

Post by rosen71 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:48 pm Assembly workbench isn't maintained since quite some time. Use A2plus instead or use Assembly3 or Assembly4. The numbers don't indicate one being more modern than the other, they follow different modeling principles.

That's what I am using - A2plus v.0.4.47e