PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: PartDesign new development, MultiBody and more

Post by realthunder »

Sorry for the silence these few days. Been busy with lots of stuffs. Anyway, I just published a new release, with some new features add addressing a few problems reported here. I'll split it into a few posts here.

First, I have added draft angle option to pad and pocket, as it seem to be a very popular request. In addition, I added a 'Fit' option to allow you to expand or shrink the profile sketch before operation. This is available for all sketch based features. I'll demo this using the rule face file from @OficineRobotica, which also shows wrap feature and command override (PartDesign_Pad overrides Part_Extrude) in action. The screencast also shows the visual enhancement on editing add/sub features, which will be shown as yellow or red shade. You can change the color with each feature's view property 'AddSubColor'.

Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Next is the new grouping capability inside body. You can toggle auto group for non-solid features. They splitted into three groups for sketches, datums and others (for shape binders, etc). These auto groups will auto claim any new non-solid features you create. You can also create your own group to hold any non-solid feature at will. The groups can be deleted. And you can reorder any feature using drag and drop.

Solid feature supports grouping in a different way. Each solid feature can be collapsed to group all previous features with the same tag. The grouped feature is ordered in reverse history order. Let me know if you find this confusing. IMO, reverse order let the recent feature be closer to the grouping feature, and hence easier to access. You can use 'Shift + double click' the tree item to toggle collapsing. When you 'collapse' a already grouped feature, it will be ungrouped first, and then form its own group with previous features. This allows you to create separate groups with feature of the same tag. There is also the 'collapse all' action to allow you to collapse all features with the same tag under the most recent feature. Use 'Alt + double click' to toggle 'collapse all'.

Last edited by realthunder on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Finally, I'll show the pattern instance selection with feature Split workflow I mentioned in previous post. The previous release has a few glitches regarding this workflow which is fixed in the current release. The screencast shows the the boolean feature merging the original pad feature into the pattern solid. You can do the other way round. Simply right click the pad (or pocket if you have muted original hole in the split) feature and choose 'Set body tip'. The tip is used to indicate where you want the new feature go. The boolean feature is now quite flexible regarding which feature used as base or tools. When creating, the first selection is always used as base, and the rest as tools, regardless of which feature belongs to the same tag group as the boolean. You can easily reorder the base and tools in the edit panel with drag and drop.

Rana

Post by Rana »

Thanks realthnder for the improvements.

I'll speak specifically on drafted pad/pocket feature addition.

1. Drafted pad/pocket does not work properly on Sketches with profile inside other profile.Example attached with sketch having circle in rectangle.When drafted pad added there is no circular cut in pad. In attached example file added corrected body expected after drafted pad.

2. Drafted pad affects correct execution of thickness child feature.Example attached with Rounded rectangle sketch with drafted pad. After adding fillet on top surface thickness can not be added. In attached example file added corrected body expected for thickness with regular draft.

Fit Function is really nice and moving forward it may take the form of "Pad/pocket with profile thickness - inward / outward / symmetric of profile" .

Pattern with preferred selection is good improvement for PartDesign.

Collapsing function improves usability.

Thanks and best wishes for the Advanced work.

Rana.
Attachments
DraftedPadProblem.FCStd
DraftedPadProblem FCStd file
(35.89 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Correct Thickness on Regular Pad and Draft.
Correct Thickness on Regular Pad and Draft.
CorrectThicknessPad and Draft.png (82.21 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Thickness Problem on Drafted Pad.
Thickness Problem on Drafted Pad.
ThicknessProblemonDraftedPAd.png (60.19 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Expected Drafted Pad  for sketches with profile inside profile
Expected Drafted Pad for sketches with profile inside profile
ExpectedDraftedPad.png (100.92 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Drafted Pad Problem for sketches with profile inside profile
Drafted Pad Problem for sketches with profile inside profile
Drafted Pad Problem .png (93.73 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Rana

Post by Rana »

Only 5 files are allowed to attach in one post, so attaching file here.

Rana
Attachments
ThicknessProblemWithDraftedPad.FCStd
Thickness Problem FCStd file.
(81.88 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

Rana wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:12 am
Lol, you beated me to it about the inner features of a sketch when draft is used.
realthunder wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:04 am
3d printers and mold makers are rejoicing. The fit and draft propertys are killer. Thank you for listening to users.

I'm having a small problem with objects visibility tough when using the last build. On creation or editing of a new feature inside a body both the last feature and the newly created one become visible effectively obstructing the view. In the screenshot I edit the "Pocket" feature but also the "pad" becomes visible although it shouldn't. Also, clicking the eye icon of the "Pad" will instead hide the "Pocket" .
objectVisibility.jpeg
objectVisibility.jpeg (221.24 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Man, I always worked in PartDesign but the path development it is taking makes me love it even more.
path.FCStd
(55.94 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New release is available. I have added support for inner hole fitting and taper angle. I have also changed default face maker for sketch based feature. You can now use sketch that have face within a face.

OficineRobotica wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:55 am I'm having a small problem with objects visibility tough when using the last build. On creation or editing of a new feature inside a body both the last feature and the newly created one become visible effectively obstructing the view. In the screenshot I edit the "Pocket" feature but also the "pad" becomes visible although it shouldn't.
You mean it stays this way even after you exit editing? Because when you are editing it is suppose to show both features. The editing feature, if it is an add/sub feature, is shown in preview mode, as either yellow or red shaded shape with face only. The previous feature is also shown because it will be used as base feature to be added or subtracted. I did fix something about visibility. Can you check if it is fixed?
OficineRobotica

realthunder wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:48 am You mean it stays this way even after you exit editing?
I mean during editing. While the task dialog is still opened.
Can you check if it is fixed?
I get mixed results. The file that i previously attached, on opening, if I go and edit "Pocket", while editing the feature, it is correctly displayed in red. Close the task and reopen...still correctly displayed. Do something else, in my case some path operations, return to "Pocket" and the feature is not displayed in red anymore. I still haven't found what triggers it and I can't attach the full file because it is too big for the forum. Sorry

Suggestions on what I should seek to constantly trigger the behavior are welcomed :|
objectVisibility1.jpeg
objectVisibility1.jpeg (247.76 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:10 am I get mixed results. The file that i previously attached, on opening, if I go and edit "Pocket", while editing the feature, it is correctly displayed in red. Close the task and reopen...still correctly displayed. Do something else, in my case some path operations, return to "Pocket" and the feature is not displayed in red anymore. I still haven't found what triggers it and I can't attach the full file because it is too big for the forum. Sorry
Maybe because of the shadow mode? I can always reproduce the problem when shadow is on. But you said you get the red shape even when shadow is on?
OficineRobotica

realthunder wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:26 am Maybe because of the shadow mode? I can always reproduce the problem when shadow is on. But you said you get the red shape even when shadow is on?
Yes, you nailed it, it is the shadow. How come I didn't think about it? I should make a habit about trying things whithbought shadow. Also in shadow mode I get triangulation? in simulation mode whereas it isn't there if I use "as is" display mode. Should I report things about shadow display mode or leave it at the moment?

Honestly, I can't live whitbought shadow. :?
Simulation.jpeg
Simulation.jpeg (344.78 KiB) Viewed 2984 times