Cannot change position of object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
natepat250

Cannot change position of object

Post by natepat250 »

Very new to cad. This is the first program I've used. I'm beyond grateful for all of the hard work put into this program, and I feel it is a gift to humanity. Thank you ALL!
My problem:
I made a sketch in part design workbench. It is fully constrained. I can freely position the sketch on all 3 axis'. Once I revolve the sketch, I cannot position it. I copied and pasted the revolution into another file, where it was to be added, and also couldn't position it there. I have modeled from sketch to revolution a number of times prior to experiencing this, and never had this issue. I am stumped. I cannot figure out what I've done wrong. I am new enough to this that it's possible I am now doing something different. I have since tried the same process with different, new files. When I sketch then revolve, I cannot change placement.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot change position of object

Post by chrisb »

That is intended behaviour. To move or rotate a result of Part Design WB you have to move or rotate the basic sketch, the incremental mode might be helpful there. Positioning is different if you use the Part WB. There you can move and rotate the result of an operation as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
natepat250

Post by natepat250 »

I took a screenshot, but cannot seem to get it here.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You need to save the screenshot as an image file, then you can attach it here.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... creenshots

Then click on the "Attachments" tab under the text input area. An "Add files" button will appear.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

natepat250 wrote:. I can freely position the sketch on all 3 axis'. Once I revolve the sketch, I cannot position it. I copied and pasted the revolution into
Placement is defined by the placement of the very first sketch in your history of an object. So go to generally the first sketch in your history and change its placement and see what happens.
manos

Post by manos »

chrisb wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 am That is intended behaviour. To move or rotate a result of Part Design WB you have to move or rotate the basic sketch, the incremental mode might be helpful there. Positioning is different if you use the Part WB. There you can move and rotate the result of an operation as well.
Is this still valid ? I mean can;t move an object e.g. a pad without using again its sketch ?
Or can;t even move an edge of the pad .
Both attachment and placement can't help ?
i am trying to solve this issue with no avail .
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I'm guessing you are attempting to move a feature of the Body.

The body represents a solitary solid which is the accumulation of all features.

In other words, a feature is not a standalone solid, it is part of the solid represented by the Body.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
manos

Post by manos »

drmacro I am trying to move an object of the body e.g. a cylinder .
Is that possible using attachment or placement ?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

manos wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:33 pm drmacro I am trying to move an object of the body e.g. a cylinder .
Is that possible using attachment or placement ?
You can move it relative to the Body. If you used the Part Design primitive to create the cylinder, then it is part of the construction of the Body and does not stand alone as a separate solid.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
manos

Post by manos »

Is there any law of the universe (of FC) that you can apply only one placement to a body which is inside a Part-container ?