Feature request - compound filter

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
DeepSOIC

Feature request - compound filter

Postby DeepSOIC » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi!

I have an idea for a possibly a quite useful tool. Let's call it Compound Filter. The tool is to delete or leave pieces of compound basing on criteria, something like:
* if volume of a piece is more than/less than some value
* if a piece touches/doesn't touch a user-supplied stencil solid
* if a piece is completely inside of a user-supplied stencil solid

Here's a problem that I'm trying to solve, and thought it would have been great if there was such a tool:
I made a set of turbine vanes, and I have to cut off some of them because I need to fit spokes there. If I use the cut tool, I get a few debris hanging in free air, that should be deleted.
I know, I can just break the compound apart, delete the debris manually, and re-group the compound. But the operation is not parametric, so if I decide to adjust shape of vanes, or the number of them, I'll have to redo the manual debris cleanup.

Or, if there already is a tool to parametrically solve my problem - I would love to hear suggestions!
vane-debris.png
vane-debris.png (78.86 KiB) Viewed 587 times
EDIT. The model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9lBm- ... sp=sharing (5MB)
murdic

Re: Feature request - compound filter

Postby murdic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:53 am

I think you could arrange the second and third functions that you suggest with intersection.