Drawing templates

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Maavhamt

Drawing templates

Postby Maavhamt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Dear all,

I have just produced a whole load of 3D drawings which I wish to convert to 2D with dimensions. I think I know how to do this but I would like the drawings to have professional templates with company name, logo, etc. I have looked at the tutorial on how to do this and it goes on about something called Inkscape. So having spent the last month trying to learn FreeCAD I have now got to spend another month learning Inkscape? Why can't I use FreeCAD to do it? Looking the existing drawing templates they look pretty good to me, isn't there a way to edit those? I just need to know how to export a FreeCAD drawing as an svg file and then re-import it as a drawing template.
Maavhamt
[/size]
chrisb

Re: Drawing templates

Postby chrisb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:37 pm

There is a macro CartoucheFC with a simple GUI which can be used to fill the fields. However, I remember some kind of a bug which I cannot test, due to other problems with my drawings (they all seemto have disappeared). I hope I can solve that by myself, otherwise I will return here.
triplus

Postby triplus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Maavhamt wrote:Dear all,

I have just produced a whole load of 3D drawings which I wish to convert to 2D with dimensions. I think I know how to do this but I would like the drawings to have professional templates with company name, logo, etc. I have looked at the tutorial on how to do this and it goes on about something called Inkscape. So having spent the last month trying to learn FreeCAD I have now got to spend another month learning Inkscape? Why can't I use FreeCAD to do it? Looking the existing drawing templates they look pretty good to me, isn't there a way to edit those? I just need to know how to export a FreeCAD drawing as an svg file and then re-import it as a drawing template.
If you want to just slightly modify existing drawing templates using Inkscape or another capable SVG editor is probably the easiest option you have. There are 2 or 3 Wiki pages on how to create SVG drawing template available and start there. If something will not work ask and we will try to help. Latest development release has some issues with custom drawing templates but if you are serious about them you could workaround that issues but first you need to create custom templates.

Another alternative would be to use Plain set of drawing templates in FreeCAD. Export created drawing as SVG file and in Inkscape add whatever template you would like to add as "new layer". As for the location of current drawing templates available by default in FreeCAD look at Template Property for Page object. Or you can download them here:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_m ... /Templates
chrisb wrote:There is a macro CartoucheFC with a simple GUI which can be used to fill the fields. However, I remember some kind of a bug which I cannot test, due to other problems with my drawings (they all seemto have disappeared). I hope I can solve that by myself, otherwise I will return here.
You can change titleblock text inside Editable Texts property of Page object. You don't have to use additional macro to do that. But yes creating custom templates does need to be done in a way it will allow you to do that. And custom templates support in FreeCAD is sub-optimal ATM but it does work if users knows what it's doing.
quick61

Postby quick61 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Maavhamt wrote:Dear all,

You don't need to take a month learning Inkscape, though it is a very handy program when it comes to designing icons, logos, Drawing templates, etc.. ;)

You can pick one of the templates that is close to what you want and modify it. Use a standard FreeCAD template, replace the FreeCAD logo with your company logo and you're good to go. If you follow along with the tutorial it pretty much tells you step be step what to do in Inkscape. If you run into any trouble or there is something you don't understand, myself, or maybe someone else will be able to explain things and get you over the hump.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
triplus

Postby triplus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:28 pm

However, I remember some kind of a bug which I cannot test, due to other problems with my drawings (they all seemto have disappeared). I hope I can solve that by myself, otherwise I will return here.
Yes that is one of the issues introduced when fixing another issue and it affects custom drawing templates. Try to move your custom drawing templates in userAppData/Templates folder before you open .fcstd file with custom drawing template in it. That should do it. If you wonder what is the location of userAppData:

Code: Select all

FreeCAD.ConfigGet("UserAppData")
But remember there are more issues involved. For example don’t use Property Template of Page object in latest development release anymore to change the drawing template as doing that will lose titleblock data on .fcstd file re-open. And for custom drawing templates therefore it comes down to you have to create macro button that will insert Page object with custom drawing template from userAppData/Templates folder in the first place.

It can be done but there is a slim chance majority of users can overcome all this issues. Therefore my suggestion would be use FreeCAD with default set of drawing templates for now. Don't change the drawing template with Page object Property Template at any time. Do the post processing (like adding custom template) in Inkscape.

I reported the issues but as new DW is being developed there is little motivation to work on current WB. In a way DW was always a bit neglected and hopefully in the future (probably not imminent future) that will change. A good start would be to get whatever is "next" into master as after that happens there is no more situation where you have broken DW and lack of motivation to fix it as it will become obsolete in the future anyway.

P.S. If you have system wide drawing template location directory read/write access you can put custom drawing templates in that system wide location directory and if you will name them properly your custom drawing templates will show in drop-down menu.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:01 pm

What system do you use (see the "read first" link on top of the page).