3D PDF

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
eryar

Re: 3D PDF

Postby eryar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:39 am

I have tried successed by using libPRC and libharu to generate 3dpdf file.

You can check the demo source here:
http://www.cppblog.com/eryar/archive/20 ... 13109.html
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 am

That's interesting.
Could you please explain how to get from a FreeCAD model to a 3D PDF? I have the very strong feeling that the number of forum members being able to understand chinese is very limited.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bernd

Postby bernd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 pm

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 am the number of forum members being able to understand chinese is very limited.
How do you know that it is Chinese ?

Anyway, I'd be interested too !
easyw-fc

Postby easyw-fc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 pm

1.Introduction

Today, many engineering models are converted to 3D PDF format, so users can use the free Adobe Reader to view the model, reduce the user software license fees. 3D PDF can be used for engineering, manufacturing, numerical modeling, medicine, space, geography and petrol exploration, construction and environmental surveys, as well as CAM, CAE, PLM data exchange documents. Can also be used for training, marketing, archiving and engineering reporting.

So the question came, how to import the 3D model into the PDF file? Adobe provides the way to embed two file formats U3D (Universal 3D) and PRC (Product Representation Compact) to import 3D models into PDF.

U3D appeared earlier, in the sourceforge there u3d library:

Https://sourceforge.net/projects/u3d/

Can be used to convert a 3D model into a U3D format. MeshLab which is the use of this tool, the first three-dimensional grid model into IDTF format, and then call IDTFConverter program to convert it to U3D format. U3d download the source read under the use of more complex, and the software is licensed GPL.

PRC is later than U3D, so PRC supports more geometric shapes than U3D, including support for NURBS curve surfaces, and also supports complex combinations. In the Internet to find the realization of PRC documents to read and write the source code exists in a mathematical software Asymptote, https: //sourceforge.net/projects/asymptote

Found that the library used to compare U3D with a simple, and support NURBS curve surface.

The 3D model is ready and these model files need to be embedded in the PDF. Find an open source library libharu online is still very good.

In summary, to consider the use of PRC-> 3D PDF routines to achieve the OpenCASCADE geometric model into 3D PDF files.

Wps_clip_image-22938

2.Code Example

Combined with the above ideas, download the corresponding library and compile through, just the following simple code can be embedded in the PDF model, the code is as follows:
it would be nice if it could be included as FC exporter
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:00 am

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 pm it would be nice if it could be included as FC exporter
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 am

bernd wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:10 pm How do you know that it is Chinese ?
One semester two hours per week are just enough to recognize some of the charcters.
eryar

Postby eryar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:36 am

PRC support mesh data for general 3d shape.

So I think you can get the mesh data from FreeCAD, then transfer the mesh data by class PRC3DTess of libPRC.

I check the way that MeshLab used to export 3d pdf, it is use the IDTFConverter.exe of U3D to convert mesh data to U3D format.
ferdymercury

Postby ferdymercury » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm

Indirectly related feature request: https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4403

Following discussions from:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 97#p144546
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=156
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?p=414775

I use 3D PDF often for doing presentations with pdflatex. It allows showing in whatever computer you go a design, without having to install anything else than Adobe PDF reader. It is much easier to show in a conference a 3D model of your design and rotate around, than doing the same with 2D pictures of it. And normally you can not install FreeCAD on the computer of your conference computer (or you do not want / have time to). Moreover, with the Adobe PDF Reader, you can isolate a single element, then go back to full view, rotate, etc. Even analyze things in a tree viewer on the left pane.

So having a way to export to it is a nice feature in my opinion. What I do now is go through Meshlab and export as U3D and then compile with PDFlatex. So exporting to U3D or PRC directly from FreeCAD, or directly to 3D PDF, would be helpful at least to some users.

In the tracker, I mentioned another thing, namely to import PRC into FreeCAD, because for Linux users, 3D PDFs that are being used widely (including research papers) are not easy to visualize and need workarounds.

Side note: PRC file format is now an ISO so it is well defined/stable.
domad

From cad to 3D *.pdf with free software….with simplicity

Postby domad » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Greetings to the whole FreeCad community!

The following guide has already been published in the Italian forum:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48042

At the invitation of Kuda1 (which I thank) she was transferred here by:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 41#p415641
and translated into English.

I read, scrolling through some posts, that some "FreeCaddisti" ask if FreeCad has or will have the possibility to export to pdf, in fact it can, but not in 3D (we hope that the developers will give us this possibility in the future).

A few years ago (2014) I had published, on the website (free computer science) of the legendary Ing.Prof. Cantaro (unfortunately [:(] no longer with us), a step by step guide ... on how to obtain, with relative simplicity, a 3D in PDF starting from a CAD file (like FreecAD) and / or from a 3D modeler (like Blender) in * .stl format, through the use of free software and / or with an open license, I thought I would do something pleasing to the whole community, proposing it again.

I specify that the guide consists of four pages, the last of which represents a trivial example of the 3D pdf created using the procedure.

It is easy to understand, in fact, step ... step and accompanied, for further clarity, by images in addition to the description of the procedure.

To view 3D PDF files, you need to open them using Adobe Reader or other software that can read these 3D PDF files.

To activate the 3D of the last page (appears with the writing "stlTOu3dTMP.u3d" in the center of the page) click on it and give, if requested, any security authorizations, adobe reader will automatically add a toolbar that will allow movement, zoom, measurement, etc. of 3D.
I also attach another three discreetly complex 3D PDF files obtained with this technique to demonstrate the level of completeness and power of the sw used and indicated in the guide: the first is the structure of a spiral staircase, in "wrought iron "With full sections, complete (already built in practice), the second exploded view of a frame of an extractor hood for domestic kitchen (in practice already built) whose component parts, in pre-powder coated steel sheet, from 7/10 thick, they were made with a cnc bending machine, the third the overall of the same frame.
P.Š. it must be said that the procedure (through the use of the sw indicated in the guide), does not allow the export of texturizations and / or colors ... but to us, technicians, designers-planners, engineers, etc. in the mechanical field we are "little" interested ... .. but probably not so much to architects.
I hope the translation has been good (?)
I wish you happy reading, but above all good work!
Below the guide download link: http://www.filedropper.com/theguidefrom ... withfreesw

FINALLY (!!): - BLENDER is supported by FREECAD a C.A.D. FREE PARAMETRIC 3D and worthy of this definition (!) Which together with GIMP, INKSCAPE and LIBREOFFICE, to name a few, can make it possible to transition to Linux in a stable manner, without having more "frustrations" and / or second thoughts ....... even in the professional field!
domad

Forgot: RESOLUTION OF THE EXPORT PROBLEM IN MeshLab FORMAT * .u3d

Postby domad » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:48 pm

With the latest version (2020.06) I found that the export in * .u3d format generates only the file in * .tex format, therefore in the absence of the * .u3d file, the application "U3D-2-PDF", not generate 3D pdf.

Here is the solution
download the folder from the link below:
U3D.plugins.for.Meshlab.2020_03.zip
- it contains two subfolders: U3D_OSX and U3D_W32 (with reference to the s.o. windows and osx)
- go to the installation folder of MeshLab usually (VGC / MeshLab / plugins)
- after copying it, paste the folder U3D_W32 or U3D_OSX (depending on the s.o. used)
- rename, with another name, all the other FOLDERS (!) present in the VGC / MeshLab / plugins directory that report u3d.

now the export of the * .u3d file should work and we should find, in the chosen export destination, two files, one with the * .tex extension and the other, in fact, with the * .u3d extension to be fed to U3D-2- PDF for conversion to * .pdf

As far as Linux is concerned, solutions are awaited.
I communicate what MeshLab programmers anticipated: in the next version, 2020.07, the problem will be definitively solved for all systems.

Link http://www.filedropper.com/u3dplug ... hlab202003
Good continuation of the day and good work to all.

FINALLY (!!): - BLENDER is supported by FREECAD a C.A.D. FREE PARAMETRIC 3D and worthy of this definition (!) Which together with GIMP, INKSCAPE and LIBREOFFICE, to name a few, can make it possible to transition to Linux in a stable manner, without having more "frustrations" and / or second thoughts ....... even in the professional field!