Folding sheet help

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mongrel_Shark

Folding sheet help

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

I have a friend that is trying to make something with a folded sheet design. They have made .dxf files and had them bent and exported as .stl's but there are some bending errors.

Mainly looking for a way to edit some of the bend values, or re fold the dfx file with corrected values.
I have asked for permission to upload files and more details about the project, just waiting for a reply.
In the mean time lets say I wanted to fold up a complex vaugely pyramid shaped structure. There would be more side to the base than the top and lots of trapezoids and triangles etc.

Have attached an example of one method I have tried which didn't work but possibly could with a few more sketches added. I basically made some profiles for top and bottom of panel and did a loft. Problem is it put curves in the panels to keep them squares when I need triangles etc. I think I could work around this with more layers of sketches, but would be very time consuming and possibly not very easy to change an angle later.
loft attempt.fcstd
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
This did get me thinking about sheet folding in general. Did a lot of googling and found a few versions of a sheet folding workbench has been attempted.

Looks like a long abandoned attempt back in 2011-2012

I also found a more recent sheet metal bench here http://theseger.com/projects/2015/06/sh ... r-freecad/
Had a quick go and found it ok for simple square based folding, but not so good for what I am trying to do.

Since there are already dfx templates of the flat sheet. some way of bending the existing sheet would be ideal.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Folding sheet help

Post by Kunda1 »

Please always post your full FreeCAD version (Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Origami software!
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

Sorry forgot to add version details.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6710 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f8eca0f9311f07c125dd6742a607724c1fa0b77c
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Re origami software. I am interested. Anyone got any open source suggestions that work on Linux and can import the dfx files then export an stl for 3d printing?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Mongrel_Shark wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 am Re origami software. I am interested. Anyone got any open source suggestions that work on Linux and can import the dfx files then export an stl for 3d printing?
http://freecadbuch.de/doku.php?id=blog: ... _erstellen

for sheet metal you can just install the official workbench
https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_SheetMetal
mrdic

Post by mrdic »

The commercial sheet metal apps that I've seen wouldn't deal with your loft attempt object because they're predicated on cylindrical surface sections with edges parallel to the axis, planar faces with constant angular relationships along the connecting edge because that's the manufacturing process. I've never seen a dedicated sheet metal app that export .stls either, because that would destroy the cylindrical features, breaking any further bend editing.
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

Hi Guys. Sorry about the delayed reply. Been flat out.

I'm still looking for a solution to this problem.

AsI explained in the original post.I have the sheet metal workbench. Its absolutely hopeless as it only folds squares and rectangles.....

eg how would I make a series of pyramids, with3, 4 and 5 sides using this workbench?