Export to DXF

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
scd

Export to DXF

Postby scd » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:17 am

I am new to FreeCAD and I and I am trying to export a surface from a 3D FreeCAD model to a 2D DXF
It sort of worked, but not the way I expected.
I first selected the features in the 3D model that I wanted to export, and I then ran the file->export command.
A DXF file was created, but the wrong face of the 3D model was exported to the DXF file.
Can someone please help. I can provide the FreeCAD model file if that helps.

Thanks,
Scott
NormandC

Re: Export to DXF

Postby NormandC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello Scott,

Welcome to the forum. One thing to know about selection is that a single face of an object cannot be selected separately, the whole object will be selected and exported. If you only want to export one face then you either need to explode the object into separate faces (a destructive and one-way operation) or create a Draft Facebinder which basically creates a linked copy of the selected face(s).

Also, for DXF export by default your objects need to be parallel to the XY plane as they will be exported to that plane. Otherwise you either need to
  • rotate the face to be parallel to the XY plane
  • go to the Import-Export preferences (you first need to load the Draft workbench as it is the workbench that manages DXF/DWG import/export) and check "Project exported objects along current view direction". Then you'll have to quit and relaunch FreeCAD for this setting to take effect, change the 3D view direction and export.
scd wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:17 am
I can provide the FreeCAD model file if that helps.
It almost always does, as it avoids a lot of guessing.