FreeCad in the classroom

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
goat20dev

FreeCad in the classroom

Post by goat20dev »

Hello everyone! I am a CAD teacher for junior high students. We have been using PRO E 3.0, and TinkerCad in the past. I had planned to use PTC Creo 4.0 this year but our computers do not support it. I am leaning towards FreeCad and while it is kind of the same as what we have been using, it will be new to most students and myself. I found some of the lessons, and some videos that look like they are decent starting points on youtube and from the links. I guess my question was if anyone else is a teacher, or has advice for creating a curriculum or order of lessons to go in? I am sort of learning on the fly as CAD was not my background but I have been learning it over the past year or so. Some other programs seem to have better step by step help I can buy, such as books, or lesson plans. I have no curriculum to follow and am just learning this with my students. If anyone could help point me in the direct of any resources you recommend I would appreciate it. And if any other CAD teachers out there had advice or a curriculum I would love to share ideas. I am responsible for teaching each unit for a semester (5 months). After a few I can let them be creative, but we all need to learn the basics. If anything scripted out there exists besides the lessons and videos linked from this page I would really appreciate you sharing. Thank you in advance.
Willem
Veteran

Re: FreeCad in the classroom

Post by Willem »

Hi, welcome to Freecad and the forum

A manual can be downloaded from this page https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual:Introduction

A good video tutorial in English of 12 lessons (32 lessons in German) is made by Roland https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_9HwD ... lFGkYBIH9g

Hope you can get inspiration from this info to make your own lessons
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

@microellly2 @Bernhard @bstanard @Pierrimus
goat20dev wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:34 pm Hello everyone! I am a CAD teacher for junior high students.
(snip)
I guess my question was if anyone else is a teacher,
Hi goat20dev and welcome! Here are some forum members that initially come to mind:
  • microelly2 is a German educator and is very active in the FreeCAD community (also google the the phrase "das freecad buch" outside the forum - you can use google translate to read things in another language if needed).
  • Bernhard also posted that he is a German an educator in Bavaria.

Your phrase "junior high" causes me to suspect that you're in the United States, so here are a few more:
  • bstanard wrote that he was a high-school teacher in Miami, Florida and
  • Pierrimus wrote that he taught a class at the Sacramento Public Library's Arcade Branch Design Spot 3D Printing lab.
To contact them do a People Search from the top of the forum toolbar (right-most thing in the top row of the snippy):
20170824a.png
20170824a.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

(My apologies to any teachers who my mind hasn't recollected).
DudeRose

Post by DudeRose »

freecad is so difficult :oops: