Design for a staircase

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
marzof

Design for a staircase

Post by marzof »

Hi,

I'd like to share my first FreeCAD project: it's a staircase for a little holiday house. In the staircase we needed to insert a box for a fridge.

You'll find more infos and pictures at http://softwareliberoperlarchitettura.m ... a-freecad/
All the freecad files are available freely at https://github.com/marzof/fridge-staircase

Here some screenshot, drawing and picture:

Made on Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 (64 bits) and FreeCAD 0.17 (revision no. 11114).
triplus
Veteran

Re: Design for a staircase

Post by triplus »

Looking good.

P.S. And nice to see you took the additional step and made it from the CAD model to a real staircase.
regis

Post by regis »

amazing stuffs, great to see this project done in freecad. I like the details.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

what a first post :shock: amazing project!

Where the panels and all the several parts produced by the use of paper drawings?

Bernd
marzof

Post by marzof »

Thanks everyone.

To bernd:
Yes, I just provided the paper drawings and pdf files to the carpenters, and they used a CNC machine to produce the parts.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

A great project to learn from indeed!!!

Unfortunately, I can't even open the files.... :oops:

e.g.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
<type 'exceptions.IOError'>: Invalid project file /home/paullee/Documents/0__ 00 FreeCAD Test _ COPY/FreeCAD_ Marzof/A101_assembled_stair.fcstd: basic_ios::clear

Any idea?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11939 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 6e7952ec672895900eec0c2a25807b25befba818
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
marzof

Post by marzof »

Hi paullee,

I don't know why you can't open the files. Have you tried with other files?
The one you chose (A101_assembled_stair.fcstd) has some issue due the excessive complexity of the board and it takes some minute to be loaded (but I can still open it).
Could it be some plugin I used? Maybe the Assembly2?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

marzof wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:13 am Hi paullee,

I don't know why you can't open the files. Have you tried with other files?
The one you chose (A101_assembled_stair.fcstd) has some issue due the excessive complexity of the board and it takes some minute to be loaded (but I can still open it).
Could it be some plugin I used? Maybe the Assembly2?
Thanks, now it works - download error :!:

A piece of works with many details indeed!

I can't figure out if you use TechDraw or Drawing WB - seems the former as your webpage indicates. Do you think you can use similar workflow to produce a building floor plan? ArchSection + ArchView is what I am exploring but there is some problem.

I can't open A101_assembled_stair.fcstd, FC keep opening and does not end. You use Assembly2 to compose the stair? Now i am more interested to know that wb!

Need quite some times to look and learn the way your model is built! :)
marzof

Post by marzof »

paullee wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm Thanks, now it works - download error :!:
I'm glad to hear that! :)

paullee wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm I can't figure out if you use TechDraw or Drawing WB - seems the former as your webpage indicates. Do you think you can use similar workflow to produce a building floor plan? ArchSection + ArchView is what I am exploring but there is some problem.
Yes, I used TechDraw but I encountered some problem when my drawings became complex: adding dimensions, hatches, annotations is actually possible but it causes a lot of incoherent behaviors if there are too much of these elements in the board.
After a lot of tries (using ArchSection, View, Section...) I adopted the following workflow:
  • modeling of the object I need in the board
  • rendering of the drawing in TechDraw workbench using View or Section command. Here I can set the point of view, the scale of the drawing, the width and the type of lines
  • exporting of the drawing in SVG (the dxf exporter doesn't seem to work very well)
  • converting of the svg drawing in a series of dxf files using the fc2dxf script: at the end I get a file for every style of line (visible, hidden, thick, thin...)
  • composing of the board in QCAD: add the title block, the dimensions, the annotations, etc...

Now I'm trying to use FreeCAD for a flat refurbishment: so I'll check it with an architectural work.

paullee wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm I can't open A101_assembled_stair.fcstd, FC keep opening and does not end. You use Assembly2 to compose the stair? Now i am more interested to know that wb!
As far as I know an assembly module is predicted to be implemented in FreeCAD. For now it's missing so I used the Assembly2 plugin to keep the process fast and simple, without giant files that could crash.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

marzof wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 am
Now I'm trying to use FreeCAD for a flat refurbishment: so I'll check it with an architectural work.
Thanks for detailed explanation! :)

Hope you finishes for refurbishment and share here soon!