FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

RatonLaveur

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Postby RatonLaveur » Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 pm

One of my favorite logos of all time regarding engineering is that of the Tampere University of Technology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampere_U ... y_logo.png

I think FreeCAD has it all already in the logo and that perhaps only the coloring and outlining (i.e. styling) of the logo needs to be modernized, similar to the efforts expanded developing the Coil IconTheme.
vocx

Postby vocx » Sun May 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Roy_043 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:35 pm
How about something completely new:
I don't dislike this. I think a modern, a bit abstract logo like this one would be possible. What we really need is more mockups, say, 10 different variations, so we can pick and choose.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
st_phan

Postby st_phan » Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 pm

I am new to the community so sorry that I don't know too much about what the proposed logos.
I still have to read up a bit on what is/was going on.

One thing that could be a reason, why no logo ever made it, is:
It's always hard to change a logo completely – not only Open Source but in the commercial world too.

Why? Because some people like the existing one and the quality of logo is often subjective so it can be impossible to argue well to completely replace one "that works".

And what is often forgotten is, that even a bad logo is part of a brand that people recognize. Even if the FreeCAD logo isn't perfect, it would be a shame to throw it out completely, because probably thousands of people out there recognize it 8-)
That's also why big company rarely change a lot at once, but incrementally instead (e.g. Fisher Price)

It's also hard to say exactly how much a logo (or pretty icons, slick interface, fancy transitions) "is worth" in term of its impact on the user.
For those who are curious: A few years (?) ago I tried to visualize some of my thoughts on that topic similar which resulted in something similar to the food pyramid:
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 21.27.57.png
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 21.27.57.png (377.4 KiB) Viewed 266 times
The further to the top something is, the more superficial it is (unless you have a lot of competition) if you view it just from the point of people using it.
More on that: stephanbogner.de/notes/pyramid-of-needs/

That being said maybe it would make sense to do an iteration on the logo instead of a fully new one. It would still be recognizable and the folks who like the current one are also happy :)

I messed around for like 10 minutes:
(This is just to get my point across, it's not a final thing)
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 21.24.22.png
Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 21.24.22.png (64.78 KiB) Viewed 266 times
I don't think it's necessary to update the logo of FreeCAD because the value is so great that it doesn't matter what the logo is (like vocx said on a previous page) but I'd be happy to help out if there is interest from the community – after all logo design is fun :D
vocx

Postby vocx » Mon May 18, 2020 7:53 pm

st_phan wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 pm
... but I'd be happy to help out if there is interest from the community – after all logo design is fun :D
Please do. This is what designers should do. Don't take 10 minutes, take 1 week, come up with 100 mockups. I'm sure one will catch most people's eyes.

Also, there are variations of the logo. One that looks like an icon with a thick outline and highlights, and another one that is plain. The one you showed is the plain one. So, maybe we would need different versions, one that is greyscale for example.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
triplus

Postby triplus » Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Johnny47 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 pm
However, as I was reading through the topics, my enthusiasm was a bit damped. Apparently, oftentimes new fellows attempt to change the logo..and all the veteran developers here seem to have started to laugh these attempts off as "Annual Logo Design Challenges". Not one really seems to care about changing it. That seems frustrating! My question: Why is that?
Hi @Johnny47

Just to clarify this. Establishing the "Annual Logo Design Challenge" is something that actually needed a lot of effort invested and by no means its purpose is or was to laugh at design attempts. Annual Logo Design Challenge is, or i guess was, an event, that celebrates design contributions to FreeCAD. It lasted for a couple of years. Due to investment in this area and giving such attempts validity a lot of good things, regarding design, came out of it. As for the logo itself. Everybody has the right to express their ideas regarding the logo. As for actually changing the logo, someday likely that will happen. Likely when a proposal will emerge, nobody will really want to refuse.

P.S. Now usually we waited for the proposal thread to emerge. Roughly that happened once a year, and hence that marked the beginning of the "Annual Logo Design Challenge". As such it had a beginning and an end. Now i guess this thread is used instead and people will just propose in this thread. I personally don't plan to get involved in this area as much as i used to. Just wanted to shed some light about the above remark. As basically it was not accurate. All in all good luck to you and to any future designers prepared to invest in FreeCAD! There was a lot of naysayers involved in my time, but i feel that we were able to prove and shift the opinion, that design (designers and their contributions) is an important aspect of FreeCAD. Now what the new generation does with that, i guess that is up to you.
baswein

Postby baswein » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks everyone for this amazing program whose broad potential I am just starting to understand.
A logo is a relatively silly and inconsequential aspect to a program but I felt that if might be useful for me to report my experience seeing it with fresh eyes. I am sad to admit that I took longer to get into FreeCAD because of the logo. I know that the logo does not reflect the quality of the program and for those that have been using and are invested in FreeCAD the logo is familiar and may have come to represent all of your good experiences with FreeCAD. The website on the other hand looks great. Branding is important for first impressions and should be given some effort as you are well aware considering the length of the Logo and UI/UX threads. For some people the branding may represent the ability of an organization to make collective decisions and acknowledge the experience of new users even if this is not the case.
I have seen other programs adopt a new logo when making a major milestone.
Here is my entry into the logo idea bin because you never know what will take off. I looked through the thread and did not see a similar one. I just felt that a 3D version would at least represent the focus of FreeCAD. I am not a graphic designer and it would require a lot of tweaking and simplification but in the FreeCAD spirit that I have come to admire why not take a crack at it and put it out there!
Attachments
FreeCAD_3D.png
FreeCAD_3D.png (244.35 KiB) Viewed 149 times
vocx

Postby vocx » Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 pm

baswein wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm
...I looked through the thread and did not see a similar one.
What are you talking about? There are at least two variations of 3D logos in that similar orientation.

https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 90#p273972

https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 10#p290682

Now, if you are going to propose a logo, you should not provide a huge image like that. You should provide it in the intended size, like 64 x 64 px, as that is the size at which it will be displayed in most places. An image may look fine when it is big, but when it is scaled down, many details may be hard to distinguish. So this is something to consider when designing logos, design it at the intended size. This is also problematic if you are proposing a logo that is raster graphic instead of a vector graphic. A vector image can be scaled without losing details, but a raster image can't.
HakanSeven12

Postby HakanSeven12 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 pm

I think FreeCAD need more modern logo. Something similar like those
Attachments
images (2).jpeg
images (2).jpeg (18.79 KiB) Viewed 121 times
adrianinsaval

Postby adrianinsaval » Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 pm

HakanSeven12 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 pm
I think FreeCAD need more modern logo. Something similar like those
I like it but I think the gear should be kept. In a similar style of course.
HakanSeven12

Postby HakanSeven12 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 pm

I don't like gear. Because FreeCAD not only for mechanical desing. İt support architectural design and I'm working on geodata, earthwork and another one works on road design. Why we should keep gear?