FreeCAD For Inventors Book Published

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

FreeCAD For Inventors Book Published

Post by sliptonic »

For the last few months I've been working on a FreeCAD book which I'm relieved to say is finally published today.

Background:
I mentor a group of kids in an Explorer post here in Missouri. Explorers are kind of like Boy Scouts but for boys and girls 14-20 and without uniforms or rank. Posts are aligned with an industry or career path and this particular post is for kids that are interested in invention and entrepreneurship. As part of that experience, I saw how people with an idea often struggle to get it to the next stage. They know they need to get a design, but the learning curve for CAD is just too steep. Even if they get the software installed, they're completely overwhelmed by the tools and options.

That was the origin of the book; focus on the basic modeling concepts, tools, and techniques and then show how those models can be used. Obviously, I hope the book has broader appeal than high school kids. I hope it works to get new users up to speed, or at least to the point that they can start teaching themselves.

But I need to say this loud and clear:
There's nothing in this book that I didn't learn from people WAY smarter than me. Normand, Microelly2, Werner, Yorik, mlampert, sgrogan, wandererfan, easyw-fc, and many many others: You guys have my gratitude.

And to the entire FreeCAD community: Thanks for making this place so much fun.

And now for the $hamele$$ plug:
The book is available on Amazon and Kobo. I recommend Kobo, cause it's cheaper.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD For Inventors Book Published

Post by chrisb »

Great to hear you made it! These projects often get never to an end. I hope your book will be available in europe.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Is it published in print as well or only as an e-book? The latter is available here, of course, but I would like to have a "real" book, if available.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:38 am Is it published in print as well or only as an e-book? The latter is available here, of course, but I would like to have a "real" book, if available.
So far, no. We've looked at "print on demand" but at more than 200 pages, many with color images, it would be a very expensive book. That's hard to justify with technical books that have such a short shelf life.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Congrats, you get your life back!

It's a great read and I'm learning some new tricks too. Shines some light into areas I don't use frequently enough to be familiar with.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Congratulations on the book! But why does it say 218 pages on amazon and 78 pages on kobo?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

That makes the price per page on a kobo far more expensive!! :o
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Congratulations!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

very cool!!!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

saso wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 am Congratulations on the book! But why does it say 218 pages on amazon and 78 pages on kobo?
Thanks for the heads'up!

We've inquired with Kobo why it's reporting this way but don't have an answer yet. The publisher purchased one for download and verified that all pages are being included.