FreeCAD command statistics

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

FreeCAD command statistics

Post by triplus »

PartDesign.png
PartDesign.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Currently we provide around 30 FreeCAD modules by default. I slightly modified Launcher to output some statistics. When FreeCAD gets started into PartDesign workbench, 234 unique commands are made available.
DefaultWorkbenches.png
DefaultWorkbenches.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
When loading all workbenches, from the workbench selector, 834 unique commands are made available.
AllWorkbenches.png
AllWorkbenches.png (4.74 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Next thing to try out was to install all modules available from the Addon manager. Around 60 of them (10% not working correctly). Once corresponding workbenches get loaded, counter stops at 1549 unique commands made available. Each of this command is uniquely named, and therefore can be considered, it does an unique task. Addon manager currently offers around 170 macros. Each providing functionality equivalent of a (simple/complex) FreeCAD command.

From providing functionality point of view. Not all FreeCAD modules/macros are listed in Addon manager. Functionality, like the one being developed in Assembly 3 effort, is not yet included. Some commands have rather complex Tasks panels. Hence providing much more functionality from the Tasks panel. A lot of functionality is available through Python console, and is therefore not directly reflected in numbers above ...
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD command statistics

Post by Kunda1 »

Very cool! Is there a way to link said command to it's corresponding wiki page ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very interesting stats!
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Would be nice to have a recording for the number of executions of a command and the context when the command is executed.
Like Amazons: Customers who viewed Sweep item also viewed pad and slice
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 am Is there a way to link said command to it's corresponding wiki page ?
Yes. I asked in the past if Wiki editors would need it. For sorting out the What's This situation. Nobody said it would find such functionality useful and therefore i didn't put more thought in it. In addition i was planning (or i guess i still do) to add something like that to Launcher widget. But there is an issue involved, as such approach would work only for default set of commands. Having command documentation on the FreeCAD Wiki. For other commands, not being documented on the FreeCAD Wiki in the same way, as default set of commands, it would always point to an empty Wiki page, but the command documentation could i guess be located somewhere else.
yorik wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:59 am Very interesting stats!
Indeed. In the past we speculated a bit, on how would it look like, to have 100 FreeCAD modules! Now we are there. What's next? ;)
microelly2 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:14 pm Would be nice to have a recording for the number of executions of a command and the context when the command is executed.
Like Amazons: Customers who viewed Sweep item also viewed pad and slice
Maybe. For fun i wanted to add an option to Command panel. Where it would be filled up by the most used commands (over time). But as that could be fun for some statistics purposes, i don't know how useful it would be for any real usage. And therefore i left it at prototype stage.