Thanks for starting this post here @Yorik.
I'll try to recap some of the points that we've mentioned as well.
As Freecad is evolving, there are just too many new features, and redundant features that are created or that needs to be streamlined. So the intention of this post is to start addressing them and hopefully give it a brand new user interface like the complete overhaul created on the blender side.
Here we want to also identify features that can be compacted together, reorganised, enhanced etc etc. so we can achieve a consistent workflow that meets basic expectations and doesn't get other new comers completely confused.
brainstorm chat from Yorik and I
- maybe the contents of the menu should be different than the toolbars.. At the moment they are identical
- maybe the toolbars should contain only selected ones
- There is also this other debate... For ex. the structure tool can do columns, beams and slabs. Folks want a separate button for columns, beams and slabs
- well it's not so much to delete them at this point but mostly to consolidate and make them uniform. like and alike together, same functionalities together etc
- staying consistent with the meaning of "blue, red, yellows" etc
- For ex the reason why the blue clone is now far away from the red clone, is that I tried to group the tools that create new objects together, to differentiate from those that modify or destroy objects
- but indeed therefore they would need new icons
- or, the blue clone should become yellow since it creates a new object (no risk to harm an existing object)
- blue can be create, red can be destroy. no problem, but all the reds in one row, all the blues in one place, all the modifies in another, etc
- probably indeed the menus should contain more stuff, while the toolbars less