In Sketcher, is there a clone-mirror?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: In Sketcher, is there a clone-mirror?

Post by NormandC »

freedman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm I have a beam (I want parametric) with a hole pattern on one end and a mirrored pattern on the opposite end. How do I clone the hole pattern and mirror it?
Thanks
Why do you want to do this in the Sketcher? It would be much more efficient (and quicker) to

1. Make the beam without holes, from a sketch of the cross-section; pad symmetric to plane
  2. Create a sketch for one hole, pocket it
  3. With the Pocket selected, create a PartDesign MultiTransform feature containing first a PartDesign LinearPattern for the direction longitudinal to the beam, optionally a second linear pattern for the direction transversal to the beam (if you want a grid)
  4. Still in the MultiTransform parameters, add a PartDesign Mirrored feature with mirror plane set to the plane of the very first sketch that padded the beam
You're done, and in much less time than trying to fully constrain your sketch containing everything and the kitchen sink. ;)
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

The holes at either end are mirrored but there are many different size and placement of holes in between. This is actually angle iron so there are 2 faces with holes. Some are patterned ( in the 20 foot length) and some are random. That's why I wanted to do most of this in Sketcher, so I can keep track of the dimensions visually. I started with a profile and then pad-symmetric. I ref all dims from the mid axis and clone as many patterns as I can. Constraints are perfect for this.

The PartDesign MultiTransform might help but the sketcher drawing will be the most help when it comes time to apply a tape measure and drill.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

freedman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:31 am The PartDesign MultiTransform might help but the sketcher drawing will be the most help when it comes time to apply a tape measure and drill.
I don't understand that statement. The terms "sketcher" and "drawing" are mutually exclusive. A sketch is not a drawing.

If you want a drawing with dimensions of hole locations, then you do it in the TechDraw workbench, from views of your PartDesign Body.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I don't understand that statement. The terms "sketcher" and "drawing" are mutually exclusive. A sketch is not a drawing.
I knew it would come across weird. I have sketched some of the holes but we are fitting new stuff in real time. I will sketch stuff as the dimensions are yelled out. The drawing is the laptop screen for awhile as we make the first one. I wish I could print a sketch directly in this case.