Importer can't find DXF libs, opens TCP without asking.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
freedman

Importer can't find DXF libs, opens TCP without asking.

Postby freedman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:48 am

Apparently the Importer had some kind of problem and lost track of the libraries. It seems to export OK but I also get a message at screen bottom " Looking for files online". Not happy about that for 2 reasons:

1) My work station has no internet connection so the program hangs a little and slows me down until there is a timeout.

2) One of my big issues; I gave no permission to connect to the internet. :? :evil:

Question: Can the Importer be fixed? I can probably fix the file location issue and the error will go away but that is just a band-aid, I have no idea when it will try to do something else.

This is the second time (I have installed an extra) and an issue like this has popped up. I try to add something to basic FreeCAD and the new software tries to connect to the web. The first was a large macro written by a trusted member and now this. Can't we put some kind of lock on the TCP code? Please....
easyw-fc

Re: Importer can't find DXF libs, opens TCP without asking.

Postby easyw-fc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 am

freedman wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:48 am
2) One of my big issues; I gave no permission to connect to the internet. :? :evil:
Have you checked the DXF import option on Preferences?
There is a checkbox to 'Allow FreeCAD to automatically download and update the DXF libraries'; that should handle it.
freedman wrote:
This is the second time (I have installed an extra) and an issue like this has popped up. I try to add something to basic FreeCAD and the new software tries to connect to the web. The first was a large macro written by a trusted member and now this. Can't we put some kind of lock on the TCP code? Please....
1) the TCP code/libraries are bundled with FreeCAD and the python environment. The Addons tools use those TCP libs too.
2) If you configure the software, tools and macro not to check for updates, the code will not be triggered (for the Addons you simply need not to use it).
3) the lock you are asking for is already there...
Last edited by easyw-fc on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC

Re: Importer can't find DXF libs, opens TCP without asking.

Postby NormandC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:32 pm

freedman wrote:
2) One of my big issues; I gave no permission to connect to the internet.
easyw-fc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 am
There is a checkbox to 'Allow FreeCAD to automatically download and update the DXF libraries'; that should handle it.
And to add to that, this checkbox is *not* enabled by default. Reset your profile to confirm that.
freedman

Re:[Solved] Importer can't find DXF libs, opens TCP without asking.

Postby freedman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:28 pm

I disabled the libraries (on a network connected system) and verified that while the status bar says it's looking online, it's not. No connections were made.
I also verified that the option to download does default to Off.

Thank you.
Excellent! :)