Export step assembly

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Teodor

Export step assembly

Postby Teodor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi,

when exporting an assembly in freecad to step (made in assembly2 WB) consisting of sever solids, it seems the information of the solids within the assembly is lost when opening the file in edrawings.
I would need the step file to contain information about the single solids within the assembly as with this solids can be hidden/shown in edrawings.
Is there a way to get a step file containing that "Component Tree" information with the different single Solids?
I found that other CAD System export stp assemblies that way.

Thanks
Teodor

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Austria (en_AT)
jmaustpc

Re: Export step assembly

Postby jmaustpc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.

If I understand you correctly, this functionality has been added to the next version of FreeCAD. Try one of the snapshot releases of FreeCAD 0.18.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Hello Teodor,

Welcome to the forum.

Go there: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre

And download the file named FreeCAD_0.18-16079-OSX-x86_64-conda-Qt5-Py3.dmg, it is almost the final 0.18 version, it's just missing about a dozen bug fixes. If you have limited bandwidth, you could wait for the official 0.18 release that will be posted here, it should not take more than a few days: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18
Teodor

Postby Teodor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:58 am

Hi jmaustpc and NormandC,

thanks for the fast reply and for clarifying.
I removed the 0.17 version and tried to install the pre version of 0.18 on MacOSX with the file mentioned but I can't get it to run, it crashes right after opening.
If you have some advice for me in order to get it to run that would be great.
Since it's not that urgent I could also wait that few days for the final release.

Thanks again.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 am

Teodor wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:58 am
I removed the 0.17 version and tried to install the pre version of 0.18 on MacOSX with the file mentioned but I can't get it to run, it crashes right after opening.
Currently you have to download it from loo's dropbox. Please try the most recent 16111 dmg and report back.

Meanwhile the dmg should be removed from the website.
Teodor

Postby Teodor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:07 pm

thanks for the link, version 0.18 16111 starts and seems to work fine on MacOS Mojave.

However, when I export assemblies to step I still can't get the components tree information when opening the step file with other than freeCAD, in my case with the edrawings viewer.
Is this something I will have to live with or is there a setting to adjust this?

thanks
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Are you selecting File --> Export --> STEP with colors?

Also go to Edit --> Preferences --> Import-Export, STEP tab (you need to load the Part workbench for this tab to appear). Try AP 214 scheme.

Otherwise, it's not easy figuring out if it's the FreeCAD export process at fault. Most of us don't have access to eDrawings because we do not use Windows.
Teodor

Postby Teodor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 pm

that's how I did it, exporting stp with colors and setting to Ap214.
However I did some additional testing today and found out, that the component tree information is there, as it shows when I open the in freecad exported stp file with a different CAD Software. It shows different component names, but the rest is there.
Therefore I suppose the problem is rather with edrawings viewer, it seems it does tread stp files created in freecad different than files from solid works, catia, etc. I found on their website that those programs are mentioned to be compatible. Although I do not understand how that can take effect since the stp format is per my understanding a platform independent format...
However thanks for your help anyway. I look forward to 0.18, from a first glimpse today it looks very nice :)
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Did you know that STEP is a plain text file? You can open one in a text editor. Maybe you could compare a STEP exported from FreeCAD with one exported from a different CAD software and compare the differences. Maybe it's only a matter of headers.

If you import a STEP that works in eDrawings into FreeCAD and export it back to STEP, that could give you a basis of comparison.
vejmarie

Postby vejmarie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I confirm that I have the same issues. A STEP export from an assembly is breaking everything at the generation side. I faced it while designing the Discovery chassis with 0.18, and I will work on fixing it. Not sure I could do it for 0.18. In fact looks like that Assembly2 is inserting a relative coordinates changes, and that the export needs absolute coordinates for shapes. In the end the shapes are totally disorganized (worse case), or are all seating in (0,0,0) which is not good either.