Hello Freecad, new to the program and hoping to help where possible.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Th4tguy

Hello Freecad, new to the program and hoping to help where possible.

Postby Th4tguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 am

Hello everyone, mechanical drafter/designer here schooled on the big 3 almost a decade ago and looking to help out this open source project.

I am hoping to be of use in the testing/bug reporting section in my area of expertise (solid/parametric modeling and technical drawings) and would like to ask what is the preferred format and place to file bug reports.
I have it installed on my windows machine at the moment and have sort of figured out the basics. I assume I will read through the tutorials as I go but I didnt see a bug reporting feature and wanted to ask.

Also, I wanted to say hello to the community, hi all.

Also also, if it hasnt been mentioned here yet, spacemouse implementation would be amazing 8D

Thank you specifically to the devs for putting the time into this program, I am very excited that this level of power is being put into the hands of the people.

anyways, see you around,
Th4tguy
wandererfan

Re: Hello Freecad, new to the program and hoping to help where possible.

Postby wandererfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am

Th4tguy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 am
I am hoping to be of use in the testing/bug reporting section in my area of expertise (solid/parametric modeling and technical drawings) and would like to ask what is the preferred format and place to file bug reports.
Welcome to the community!

We can always use more testers and I am enthusiastic about having another technical drawing expert to tell what I've done wrong!
I assume I will read through the tutorials as I go but I didnt see a bug reporting feature and wanted to ask.
This topic should give you the basics on bug reporting. You'll want to request an account on the bug tracker.
Also also, if it hasnt been mentioned here yet, spacemouse implementation would be amazing 8D
Pretty sure this is already available. I don't have one, so I can't give you directions. One of the other will speak up.

wf
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Th4tguy wrote:
wandererfan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am
Pretty sure this is already available. I don't have one, so I can't give you directions. One of the other will speak up.

wf
Yes its there, its been there for many years, but I also know little about it and don't own one. Werner just recently fixed a bug with it on Linux distros that use Wayland.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 1758cc5b30

Just search the forums for "spacenav" or similar and you will get many hits.
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 am

Th4tguy wrote:

I have it installed on my windows machine at the moment and have sort of figured out the basics. I assume I will read through the tutorials as I go but I didnt see a bug reporting feature and wanted to ask.

1. We need somebody who knows standards. Many users have used parametric modellers before, but don't know the minutiae of ANSI, DIN, EN, ISO, etc. standards. So, if you think something "needs to be done a certain way" to comply with a standard, that'd be good to know. In this way FreeCAD can be standards-compliant and will probably attract more users for "serious" business.

2. In particular, wandererfan, the developer of the TechDraw Workbench could use some help when it comes to knowing exactly what types of symbols (welding, roughness, arrows, etc.) are necessary to correctly create a drawing. Is TechDraw standards-compliant in your opinion? Maybe you can also contribute symbols to the SVG symbols library for inclusion in FreeCAD https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-symbols

Visit the TechDraw subforum.

3. Just a piece of advice. Don't expect everything to work exactly like the other commercial programs. If something works in a strange way, it may be a design decision, not necessarily a bug. Learn to use the software well before trying to "fix" it. Of course, improvements in usability are welcome.

4. Documentation! Developers love to code, but they don't love writing documentation. I personally think that FreeCAD documentation is lacking. The wiki holds the official documentation for the program, and I think it could be much more detailed, especially in the most used workbenches like Draft, Arch, Sketcher, Part, PartDesign, Path, FEM. Go through the Workbenches and see if information is missing. Help FreeCAD.
freedman

Postby freedman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Another thing that could be useful is some research on how to make a video quickly, the formats have been settled I believe. FreeCAD changes quickly so videos are dated quickly. Some good direction on tools that work on different OS's, those tools need to be something the users will download, many user are picky about what they download ( like me). I hope that someday videos could be as easy as writing in the forum here.
kisolre

Postby kisolre » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:47 pm

freedman wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm
Another thing that could be useful is some research on how to make a video quickly, the formats have been settled I believe. FreeCAD changes quickly so videos are dated quickly. Some good direction on tools that work on different OS's, those tools need to be something the users will download, many user are picky about what they download ( like me). I hope that someday videos could be as easy as writing in the forum here.
ShareX https://getsharex.com/ and Carnac http://code52.org/carnac/ for Windows.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Forum member Kunda1 has collected some #lowhangingfruit.
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi Th4tguy! Welcome :)

For bug reporting, we suggest to triage in the Help forum. FreeCAD is available on Linux, OSX, and Win and distributed in un-countable forms so the "About FreeCAD" info is almost always relevant.

As for the rest, pick something that your time, skills, and interests allows. All help is welcome, whether it's a typo fix on the wiki or coding a new module or anything in between.

As yorik (one of the main devs) says, it all happens on the forum. We are a community driven project. I think most of us have learned FreeCAD from the forum and try to "pay forward" that knowledge. Most of all have some FreeCAD fun ;)