New user comment on 0.19 16854

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TomB19

New user comment on 0.19 16854

Postby TomB19 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am

I'd like to leave a divot for others who may be on the same path I've travelled.

FreeCAD has been a wild trajectory for me. Over the years, I tried it and gave up on it many times. I've spent the last 3 months trying to learn it, frustrated by untenable instability, trying other platforms, returning to FreeCAD occasionally, and generally trying to find a CAD that I can live with. If I was a Windows user, I would have been using Fusion 360 for the last few years and would have never looked back. It's an outstanding platform and literally worth having a second Windows machine for anyone who needs a platform they can count on.

For what it's worth, I've been frustrated by SketchUp's bugs, also. Same for AutoCAD over the years, although I find it entirely usable.

Unfortunately, I'm tied to linux. My Windows machine is a very nice laptop but my linux desktop has gobs of RAM, a 30" 4K monitor, and is where I live. So... I tried really, really, really hard to use and like FreeCAD. It wasn't easy but I made it.

I was getting by with 0.18-16115 and 0.19-16822. 0.18-16117 seems to be a regression. With the prior two, I could get some designs done. I've designed about 40 parts with those two code bases. I've compiled many versions but it isn't practical to compile every version you want to try. AppImages are the way to go and I appreciate the reliability.

Earlier this evening, I downloaded and installed 0.19-16854. From there, I spent 90 crash-free minutes cranking out two parts of a battery adapter to re-animate a tool on a long dead, no-name (EarthWise), tool for a buddy. It was glorious. It's 3d printing now.

There are still lots of bugs but I'm really jazzed about 16854. Linux users like me need FreeCAD to be a viable platform. Not being able to pocket on a curved surface isn't all that much of a limitation. I'm a rank novice and I have pocketed out set screw holes in involute gears and it adds perhaps 2 minutes to the design.

I've resisted reporting bugs or complaining because I know it's an endless, thankless, labour of love.

Thank you for all of the hard work that has gone into this CAD tool. Thank you for those who have authored some great YouTube tutorials; they were fantastic.

With 16854, I expect to stay with the platform. If I do, I will try to participate and help the project where I can.

Sincerely, your effort is appreciated.
PrzemoF

Re: New user comment on 0.19 16854

Postby PrzemoF » Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 am

TomB19 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am
[..]
I've resisted reporting bugs or complaining because I know it's an endless, thankless, labour of love.
[..]
Welcome to the forum!

Please _DO_ report bugs no matter how small or trivial. This is the only way to get them fixed and we have developers fixing some easy bugs within hours after the bug has been reported. Please help us help you!

Bug submission guidelines: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=5236
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.
You talk about one concrete issue, pocketing a curved surface. This is well possible, so I would like to know which issues you faced.

For other newbies reading this: Please don't wait several years before asking for help in the forum. Quite often there are some tiny issues preventing FreeCAD from being used; we are glad if we can help accross them.
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue May 28, 2019 6:30 pm

TomB19 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am
... I've spent the last 3 months trying to learn it, frustrated by untenable instability,
One thing that you fail to mention is what you are using FreeCAD for. Not everybody uses FreeCAD for the same thing. Some people make solid bodies, and then 3D print those bodies. Some people don't 3D print at all. Some people export the bodies and then render them in a photorealistic fashion. Some other people import bodies from elsewhere and run FEM simulations. Some other just draw 2D plans.

Everybody uses FreeCAD in a different way. You saying that FreeCAD is unstable means nothing if you don't specify exactly in which way you found it to be unstable. I haven't experienced many crashes and instabilities in more than 2 years of using the software. Why? Who knows. Maybe my use case is radically different from yours. Giving more information is better than being vague.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:45 pm

@TomB19, I echo the above responses and want to say that I've seen many a bug be fixed because it sparked the interest of enough people (or even one person!). Actually, just showcasing the bug in a well enough light could spark the interest to get it fixed and consequently, many other things could be improved.

I don't mean to be all kumbaya here but we all build FreeCAD together (in different ways). I don't think people grok that enough..or for real. When a pull request is made and merged...that means everyone in the world who is paying attention has a potential to get a little more ingenious and refined. That's a pretty awesome notion. Also there is a lot that goes on behind a merge request...like documentation and bug triage, keeping the testing and packaging of FreeCAD up to snuff. Hell even keeping the infrastructure like the bugtracker and website up to current standards. So please reconsider.

Also @TomB19, please showcase your work in the User Showcase subforum. We love to see how people use FreeCAD, as @vocx said above, people use it many different fashions.

FYI, please also remember to post your Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard info each time you ask for help or give feedback so we know that we're on the same page.

Cheers!
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi @TomB19

It gets easier with practice.