[Solved] STEP part non-uniform scale

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

[Solved] STEP part non-uniform scale

Postby catman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Not finding out how to do it feels a bit embarassing, but I can not find out how to scale an imported STEP file.

I want to import a CAD file in STEP format for a aluminum profile that comes in 1000mm and apply a scale function to use it in an assembly with different lengths. For this I would import the part, align it manually to the main axes and apply a scale parameter in the lenght axis.

But where are the scale factor settings?
Last edited by catman on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Version: FreeCad V0.18 and V0.19 trials
chrisb

Re: STEP part non-uniform scale

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:47 pm

You cannot scale it. The idea of parametric modeling is to get things right without scaling. However, if you create a Draft->Clone, you can scale that.
catman

Postby catman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 pm

chrisb wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:47 pm
ou cannot scale it. The idea of parametric modeling is to get things right without scaling.
Agree for PartDesign. Just expected to use a STEP object like a Part:Box, so that there is a scale parameter per axis.
chrisb wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:47 pm
However, if you create a Draft->Clone, you can can scale that
Great. Thanks. I supposed Draft is for 2D stuff only. I tried the Draft->Scale. It worked fine for all three axes!

Do you know which other function work on STEP parts? I tried to extrude a face with Part:extrude or add a chamfer but this did not work. Its a bit confusing, because I thought that STEP is for FreeCAD a native format. So what would be the difference between a Part:box and an imported Aluminum Profile from a STEP file?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:23 am

You are right with your comparison between a Step file and a Box - although sometimes a step is more like a compound containing multiple items -, but you cannot extrude a face of a box either. You can do such things in PartDesign:
- Select the STEP object
- create a new body

The STEP will now appear as BaseFeature in the body and you can directly pad a (plane) face.

As for the fillet: it should work as you describe, but fillets are sometimes a bit picky, e.g. you have to assure that the fillet does not touch or cross the next adjacent edge.

You can upload your file here for further investigation
catman

Postby catman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 pm

chrisb wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:23 am
You are right with your comparison between a Step file and a Box - although sometimes a step is more like a compound containing multiple items -, but you cannot extrude a face of a box either. You can do such things in PartDesign:
- Select the STEP object
- create a new body
The STEP will now appear as BaseFeature in the body and you can directly pad a (plane) face.
Perfect. Works like a charm.
This way I now can really build upon existing STEP models (or submodels).
chrisb wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:23 am
As for the fillet: it should work as you describe, but fillets are sometimes a bit picky, e.g. you have to assure that the fillet does not touch or cross the next adjacent edge.
Also the chamfer works, I was not aware of the limitation with the next edge. I added the information about Part:Chamfer and Part:Fillet to the wiki, was missing there. See https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Part_Ch ... imitations
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 pm

catman wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 pm
I added the information about Part:Chamfer and Part:Fillet to the wiki, was missing there. See https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Part_Ch ... imitations
Thanks for the great addition. Sometimes we don't see the wood for the trees.