Can't edit a Wire in Draft or Arch workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tomi_wunder

Can't edit a Wire in Draft or Arch workbench

Postby tomi_wunder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello community,
I'm almost sure, my question is a dumb one and the underlying problem is easy to solve...
I've drawn a planar wire and now I'd like to modify it (moving/adding/removing corner points etc.) using the Edit tool.
whiteboxes.png
whiteboxes.png (36.1 KiB) Viewed 79 times
However, other than in any help/screenshot/tutorial video I've found so far, the point handles are white here with me instead of black as with others and I can't seem to modify anything. I've tried shift/ctrl-clicking and dragging on open as well as closed wires, and many other things, but nothing worked so far.

While I'm comfortable with the Sketcher and many other functions of FreeCAD meanwhile, I'm turning round in circles for hours now and it feels like I'm missing something really basic. Please bear with me!

What is my mistake?

Thank you very much!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.3)
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attachments
drafteditwireproblem.FCStd
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
chrisb

Re: Can't edit a Wire in Draft or Arch workbench

Postby chrisb » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:36 pm

The points are here white as well. I use gesture Mouse Model: In Edit mode you have to click once on a point, don't hold the mouse button down. Then move the mouse. You will see additional lines indicating the movement of the point. A second single click places the point at its new position.
tomi_wunder

Postby tomi_wunder » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 am

Hello chrisb,
First of all thanks for your quick answer!
I usually stick with the OpenInventor MouseModel, but I've also tried to follow your suggestion. I've also tried the click-to-pick, release, click-to-place in every combination (with and without ctrl and shift), tried return, spacebar etc. Just nothing worked, neither using the Gesture Mouse Model nor the OpenInventor one. There must be something wrong with my FreeCAD installation, then or I'm making a capital mistake. Even closed and restarted FreeCAD a couple of times... Every wire I draw is immutable right after creation no matter what I try. I'm totally clueless now.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 am

Can you retry with a current 0.19? You can have both versions in parallel, but 0.19 is very stable anyway.