Translating an object along it's axis?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jtidwell

Translating an object along it's axis?

Post by jtidwell »

How can I translate this screw blank along it's axis? I'd like to move it out of the hole about .5mm without changing it's location. Right clicking on the object and using "Translate" doesn't seem to have a linear option nor does "Edit" > "Placement". Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
Attachments
screw.png
screw.png (42.81 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Last edited by jtidwell on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Translating an object along it's axis?

Post by chrisb »

It is not really possible to say without the model. Usually you should have attached some sketch normal to the cylindrical axis. Then moving along Z-direction would move it along that axis.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Also, please attach your images directly to the post. Drag/drop over the text input area or "Attachments" tab under the "Submit" button.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Maybe you know the angle of the screw from one axis X or Y
reoriente the scrw along the axis , then translate it , and reposition it at the original angle .
jtidwell

Post by jtidwell »

kisolre wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 am Also, please attach your images directly to the post. Drag/drop over the text input area or "Attachments" tab under the "Submit" button.
Thanks - I've been trying to figure out the "picture" button at the top row of buttons with no success. Thanks for the help.
jtidwell

Post by jtidwell »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 am It is not really possible to say without the model. Usually you should have attached some sketch normal to the cylindrical axis. Then moving along Z-direction would move it along that axis.
Nah, I just used a solid cylinder for the bolt blank and rotated it around to get it where it is now. Unigraphics used to have a floating WCS that you could position somewhere and then reposition an object based on that coordinate system. Was wondering if there was something similar. I ended up using the Part Manipulator plugin to positioning a cylinder .200" thick on the bolt hole, then using P.M. to reposition the bolt on the cylinder, then deleting the cylinder. I should probably figure out a better way to position bolts.
jtidwell

Post by jtidwell »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 pm reoriente the scrw along the axis , then translate it , and reposition it at the original angle .
Thank you. That was my thought as well but was hoping for a quicker method.
jtidwell

Post by jtidwell »

mario52 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 am hi

Manipulator_Workbench

mario
Hi I ended up using this. Thanks.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

ok, this function is available in Placement but not very documented "Deplacement along point to point"

Placement dialog -- arbitrary vertex as center of rotation

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.