Problem with Substraction ArchComponents

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
rockn

Problem with Substraction ArchComponents

Postby rockn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:55 am

Hi all !
I have a problem that I cannot explain :
Please download this file :
Pergola.fcstd
(77.75 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
You can see that some Arch objet have Substraction Componenents.
But there is only one boolean operation that is done. This is "CF - Clone of Poteau".
All the others operation are not made : "CF - Clone of Poutre002" , "Solive - Clone of Poutre001" and "Poteau - Clone of Poutre".
In fact the structure is made by a macro, but even by hand, the bool operation are not made except "CF - Clone of Poteau".
Have you got an idea ?

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3335 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: c700d9d3687e92e153eda620553ceb77ee3b1db3
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.1
Formations et tutoriels FreeCAD en Français, soutenez moi : https://www.tipeee.com/formations-freecad
yorik
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Substraction ArchComponents

Postby yorik » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:43 pm

There is indeed a bug there... It's not really a bug actually. The subtractions are made before the object is copied on its axes. Unfortunately if I simply change the place of that subtraction in the code I get weird results... And there is also something wrong with the placements somehow...

I must work on this a bit further.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Actually there is no way out of this problem... Sometimes you will want to subtract things before the axes duplication, sometimes after.

I think the best strategy would be to split things into two: remove the ability for structural objects to have axes, but add a new "struct system" or "struct array" object, that takes one base object and a list of axes... So you have precise control over where you want th subtractions to happen. issue #1486
rockn

Postby rockn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Yorik, thanks for the answer. I think I understand the problem.
So, if at the end, I need a drawing of each Object of my structure I think I need to create physically each Arch Structure (by hand or macro but without Array or Axes) and add or remove components.
Formations et tutoriels FreeCAD en Français, soutenez moi : https://www.tipeee.com/formations-freecad
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 pm

I think the safest way, for now, would be: create one beam, make the necessary subtractions, then duplicate it, either with the Arch axes, or with the Draft array, or simply creating clones.

But indeed there is a problem with the automatic duplication along axes: it becomes one whole object, but this is not too practical for counting or generating drawings. But when I'll make a separate object of it, we can make things better, for example that object can keep count of how many instances it produces, and also keep track of its base object. That can actually make things easier later.
rockn

Postby rockn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:43 pm

yorik wrote:I think the safest way, for now, would be: create one beam, make the necessary subtractions, then duplicate it, either with the Arch axes, or with the Draft array, or simply creating clones.
I have think of that, but it's not good everytime, in the Pergola.FCStd you can see that Poteau ("post" in English ?) are not the same (ok it can be a mirror) but if I have an intermediate post I want it to be symetric with intermediate beam so the substraction is not the same as end post.
yorik wrote:But indeed there is a problem with the automatic duplication along axes: it becomes one whole object, but this is not too practical for counting or generating drawings. But when I'll make a separate object of it, we can make things better, for example that object can keep count of how many instances it produces, and also keep track of its base object. That can actually make things easier later.
I suspected well that the finality of the system of axis was that the object becomes independent.
rockn

Postby rockn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 am

There is always somthing wrong...
First see this file, the substraction work but not properly, there is a space between the two structure that not have to be.
archComponents.fcstd
(32.34 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
I make my pergola with the creation of each beam structure (not with Array or Axes). The removeComponent between Poutre and Poteau work very well but it not work very well between Solive and Poutre...
archComponents.fcstd
(32.34 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
The Pergola is still create with a macro, if you want it to see if it was cause by the code, please PM me.
Attachments
archPergolaRockN.fcstd
(112.29 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Yes, there is still something wrong with the placements... Sometimes you subtract a shape from another, but the subtracted shape is taken without its placement... I still couldn't find out exactly what goes wrong..
rockn

Postby rockn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:35 pm

About separate each copies on a Axes system, when we export it in STEP and import there in one part for each copies. It's cool.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Yes I noticed that too....step export breaks compound objects into single solids. It's useful, actually. The Draft downgrade tool could be adapted to do that too...

*EDIT* Done - git commit ebb921d