Blue Checkmark

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xsection

Blue Checkmark

Post by xsection »

What does the blue check-mark mean? I'm using version .13.
Thanks,
Attachments
blue checkmarks.png
blue checkmarks.png (17.51 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
wmayer
Founder

Re: Blue Checkmark

Post by wmayer »

This means a property of such an object has been modified. When doing a recompute of the document (you can force this by pressing F5) the objects get recalculated. If everything is fine the little icons disappear, if there is an error somewhere the icon will be replaced with a red icon with white exclamation mark.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

[quote="wmayer"](you can force this by pressing F5)

Hi Werner
pressing F5 does nothing here, does it work on Linux for you? I wonder if it is another KDE key binding conflict? There are times when a convenient way of forcing a recompute of the document could be useful. Do you think it would be a good idea to put a force recompute item in a menu somewhere, or not?

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3595 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: d85f44208948427346dcadb133c12bd7991b4d6d
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

jmaustpc wrote:Do you think it would be a good idea to put a force recompute item in a menu somewhere, or not?
How about an, 'disable all re-computation' mode. Because currently, entering or deleting a digit (not number) in the properties editor, freezes my system for about 10 seconds for a non-trivial document.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

On Linux it's Ctrl+R.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:On Linux it's Ctrl+R.
Hi Werner
I can't get Cntrl R to work either, I just updated the code and compiled.

Jim

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3614 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 7e898c0336e3d1ca123596ef2537b23e6462c923
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

So what shortcut does it show for the Refresh command in the Edit menu?

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/QKeySequ ... -shortcuts
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:So what shortcut does it show for the Refresh command in the Edit menu?

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/QKeySequ ... -shortcuts
F5, but it doesn't seem to work

I am also talking about 2 different things here, firstly F5 or Edit refresh, seem to do the same as the recompute icon next to the workbench dropdown list.

To test F5 etcetera, I inserted a default Part sphere because they do not auto recompute when you change their diameter. The edit menu refresh and the toolbar icon are both greyed out and not selectable unless some parameter has been touched. If I adjust the diameter, the menu and tool bar icons are not longer greyed out, then I can test them, they both icons work but pressing the f5 function key does nothing (I even tried literally pressing the "f" key and the "5" key just to prove that that will not work as well).

But the other thing I would like to be able to do is open a file and then be able to force FreeCAD to recompute the whole thing. If someone posts a fcstd file with a bug caused by one version of occ and I open it with a FreeCAD with a different version of occ the bug will initially still show, I then have to change (and change back) a parameter of each part that I want to force a recompute of, so I can test what my different version of occ will do. In that scenario I would like to have some way to force FreeCAD to recompute the entire model.

If I understand correctly that is because FreeCAD generates and saves BREP files into the fcstd file....when I first open the file i will see a potentially problematic brep from some other version of occ....but when I touch a parameter and trigger a recompute ...FreeCAD would calculate a new BREP file? So in that scenario I want a simple way to get FreeCAD to recompute all the contents of the fcstd file. Does that sound like it makes sense, to you?

Jim
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

To test F5 etcetera, I inserted a default Part sphere because they do not auto recompute when you change their diameter. The edit menu refresh and the toolbar icon are both greyed out and not selectable unless some parameter has been touched. If I adjust the diameter, the menu and tool bar icons are not longer greyed out, then I can test them, they both icons work but pressing the f5 function key does nothing (I even tried literally pressing the "f" key and the "5" key just to prove that that will not work as well).
So, if the command becomes active but pressing F5 has not effect, then I guess it's rather a bug in your DE. Maybe you can try to assign another shortcut in the customize pages.
But the other thing I would like to be able to do is open a file and then be able to force FreeCAD to recompute the whole thing. If someone posts a fcstd file with a bug caused by one version of occ and I open it with a FreeCAD with a different version of occ the bug will initially still show, I then have to change (and change back) a parameter of each part that I want to force a recompute of, so I can test what my different version of occ will do. In that scenario I would like to have some way to force FreeCAD to recompute the entire model.
When loading a project file all objects are marked 'touched' during the reading. Afterwards the 'touched' flags is purged for all objects because this basically indicates that the document was modified and when loading a project file we don't want a 'touched' document.
If I understand correctly that is because FreeCAD generates and saves BREP files into the fcstd file....when I first open the file i will see a potentially problematic brep from some other version of occ....but when I touch a parameter and trigger a recompute ...FreeCAD would calculate a new BREP file? So in that scenario I want a simple way to get FreeCAD to recompute all the contents of the fcstd file. Does that sound like it makes sense, to you?
To test such files I guess it's best you write a macro to touch all objects of a document and insert this macro into the GUI. The Python code is a simple two-liner:

Code: Select all

for i in App.ActiveDocument.Objects:
    i.touch()
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

thanks Werner