3D print problem related to open constraints?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
t86951

3D print problem related to open constraints?

Postby t86951 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:05 am

Total Freecad noob here. I tried making a simple shape on freecad and had problems getting all the "degrees of freedom" locked down. So I ended up extruding the shape despite still having 2 degrees of freedom and exported it as an STL file. When I tried printing it on my Velleman K8200 printer, the layers did not line up and I got a screwed up print. Is that because of the unconstrained sketch in the first place....?
NormandC

Re: 3D print problem related to open constraints?

Postby NormandC » Thu May 22, 2014 4:26 am

Whether a sketch is fully constrained or not has absolutely no effect on the part generated from it. It is not mandatory for a sketch to be fully constrained, but it is considered best practice. For one thing it ensures that the geometry could not accidentally be changed by picking an element with the mouse, also you make sure the profile is exactly as you have planned it.

Your problem may have a variety of sources, it may very well be that it has nothing to do with FreeCAD but with your 3D printer configuration. Layers not lining up seems to indicate missed steps which could point to a hardware issue. But this forum is not the place to discuss this.
t86951

Postby t86951 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:55 am

Until now, I've used Tinkercad to create .STL files, and they've all worked fine on the same printer with the same setting. So are freecad stl files somehow different than tinkercad .STL files?
quick61

Postby quick61 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:08 am

t86951 wrote:Until now, I've used Tinkercad to create .STL files, and they've all worked fine on the same printer with the same setting. So are freecad stl files somehow different than tinkercad .STL files?
Not that I am aware of. If you would like to post your FreeCAD file (.fcstd) and describe what you did to mesh the part, like just export to .stl, or meshed it first in the Mesh Design Workbench using..., etc., maybe we can tell if it's the model, which we can address here, or something else. I use FreeCAD exclusively for making the models I print and have had no problems with the .stl files. IMO, .stl export is something FreeCAD does rather well.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
t86951

Postby t86951 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:55 am

Well I printed the same file with the same settings and it worked just fine, so it was just a printing issue apparently. All good now. Thanks!
t86951

Postby t86951 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:46 am

I may be saving the .STL file incorrectly on reflection. What is the correct way to make an .STL file for printing? I've been using the export function and picking mesh formats, but today I realized you must select which objects to export and I fear I'm creating .STL files that don't have the whole part selected. Is there a better way to make STL files and/or is there a way to ensure I've selected all objects before exporting?
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun May 25, 2014 2:06 am

Depending on how your part was constructed, you should only select the last object in the Project tree. All the others represents prior steps in the creation of your part.

If your document is made of separate components, you need to fuse them all together with a Part Fuse.

If you don't follow this process, your STL will be problematic because it won't be a valid enclosed volume.
t86951

Postby t86951 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks.

Well picking the last thing in the tree (a fillet) didn't seem to work? And I can't find a part fuse function -- where can I find that?
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun May 25, 2014 5:56 am

t86951 wrote:Well picking the last thing in the tree (a fillet) didn't seem to work?
Define what "didn't seem to work" means. At this point this statement is totally useless to help you solve the problem.
t86951 wrote: And I can't find a part fuse function
I gave you the link to the command page in the wiki that explains where it is located - in the Part workbench.
t86951

Postby t86951 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:59 pm

When I click and highlight the last thing in the tree, which in this case was a fillet, and then "export" to a .STL file, I get a nearly empty file of 84 bytes with nothing that can be printed.

I went to the wiki page you linked, it listed the file location as Part -> Fuse There is no "Fuse" under the Part menu for me. I am using version 0.13 if that matters.